Foam as absorbers

Mike D

Foam as absorbers
« on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:18 pm »
I just visited a faric store that specializes in furniture.  
The visit was very interesting.  Could you please look over the materials below and let me know what you think may come of using these items for my own acoustic treatment?

Here are some items that they had for my uses in the basement audio room:

2' x 7' x 2" furniture grade HR 46 foam (firm couch foam) = $30 or less each foam panel

2' x 7' x 4" same as above only 4 inches thick =$50 or less per foam panel

2' x 7' x 2" T-60 furniture foam (very firm couch foam) = $30 per panel

2' x 7' x 4" same as above = $50 per panel

very cheap, ultra thin "backy" fabric made for backing drapes or undersides of furniture = 10 feet wide x 3' long = $2.00 sold at any length.

To absorb reflections and standing bass, could I use the 2 inch panels or would I need the 4 inch panels for the corners.  

My idea is to put these panels in my basement vertically along the walls to absorb reflections, bass, and help insulate for winter.  

My main questions are which type of foam and which thickness of foam.  They sell both kinds of foam at 6 inches thick in 2' x 7' panels as well.  The sheets would be spray glued onto the panels and the panels would be attached to the walls.  

The density of the foam is between 1.7 and 2.7 lbs per square foot.  Is this godd, bad, or okay.  Auralex foam varies from .9 to 4 lbs per foot depending on the type of foam.

Thank you for considering all of these choices.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Foam as absorbers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:28 pm »
Quote from: Mike D
I just visited a faric store that specializes in furniture.  
The visit was very interesting.  Could you please look over the materials below and let me know what you think may come of using these items for my own acoustic treatment?

Here are some items that they had for my uses in the basement audio room:

2' x 7' x 2" furniture grade HR 46 foam (firm couch foam) = $30 or less each foam panel

2' x 7' x 4" same as above only 4 inches thick =$50 or less per foam panel

2' x 7' x 2" T-60 furniture  ...

Mike,

I think you can actually do better by buying from FoamByMail.com.  You can go to their website and get details.

Once you know what you want, go to Ebay and buy from their Ebay store (saves you about 50% off their retail prices).

I use their 4" wedge foam with good results.

Hope this helps.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Foam as absorbers
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:33 pm »
Which....to look for ??? :?
    http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html [/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
    Foam as absorbers
    « Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:37 pm »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Which....to look for ??? :?
      http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html [/list:u]

http://www.foambymail.com/Wedge.html

George

pjchappy

Foam as absorbers
      « Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:48 pm »
      I got a pack of 48 4" wedge foam for like $60. . .works great!

Mike, I think you want to avoid the furniture foam. . .that's closed cell, correct?  You want open cell, acoustic foam for your purposes. . .

p

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
        • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
      Foam as absorbers
      « Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2004, 06:11 pm »
      For Bass Absorption you will want to use something more dense than that foambymail stuff.  2 lbs per cubic foot isn't useful for bass absorption.  It will work very well for upper mid to high frequencies.

That Auralex foam you said is available in 4PCF density...that would be useful in the corners of your room for bass absorption.

Otherwise just get some rigid fiberglass panels and cover them with cloth to do bass traps.  A nice 4.00pcf-6.00pcf, 4"thick 2ft x 4ft panel placed across each corner will act as a broadband bass trap.  It's very effective compared to foam.

The "quick 'n' dirty" solution is to just get those big bales of fiberglass at Home Depot and put them in the corners.  Those big plastic bags have compressed the fluffy fiberglass into a nice density to absorb bass frequencies.  You can always cover them in fabric to at least make them look a little better.

zybar

• Volunteer
      Foam as absorbers
      « Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2004, 06:13 pm »
      Quote from: heavystarch
      For Bass Absorption you will want to use something more dense than that foambymail stuff.  2 lbs per cubic foot isn't useful for bass absorption.  It will work very well for upper mid to high frequencies.

That Auralex foam you said is available in 4PCF density...that would be useful in the corners of your room for bass absorption.

Otherwise just get some rigid fiberglass panels and cover them with cloth to do bass traps.  A nice 4.00pcf-6.00pcf, 4"thick 2ft x 4ft panel placed across each corner will ...

Woops, missed that he mentioned bass.

For bass I do use rigid fiberglass panels made by Realtraps (8 of them in fact).  

Never did try the big regular insulation bundles...

George

electricbear

room treatment
      « Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2004, 12:47 am »
      mike, you may want to bring along a drawing of your room to the next gas get together. Both Scott F and myself have some training in room acoustics , we should  be able to give you advice specific to your room. If you can wait until after the festive season I'll come over some evening with a Sencore SP295 meter and some HAA software and dial your room in .

DeadFish

Foam as absorbers
      « Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2004, 01:35 am »
      Mike! :idea:

First off, to be certain, your acoustic treatments are going to do nada for any insulation.  Unless you make some sort of meaningful 'room' enclosed, heat will find its way around your treatments.
      Unless of course, you choose to build walls.
      I was thinking, you would only have to frame and insulate about 3' below outside grade to get 90% effectiveness of insulation as if you went all the way down to the floor.  Three foot is about where the frostline is around here.  THAT way, you wouldn't have to mess with your 'dry basement treatement' installed at the bottom of the walls.
      You would still loose probably 5-6 inches off of those walls though.
      Still, you might consider that, and perhaps building some 'traps' into the walls by not drywalling some panels, and insulating them in a way that works for trapping and some temp gradient.  Cover those parts of the wall in fabric, maybe with a layer of polyfill over the fibreglass to keep it from puking fibers at you...
      My thought being, as a homeowner, you would be improving the value of your home, framing and finishing wall down there AND insulating part of the basement.  Plus, for a fact, insulation added effectively to your home is some of the fastest payback money spent on a house.
      Its doable, but it'd cost you beer, and the pleasure of you pounding your hands with a hammer as much as I do.... :wink:

Of course, importing treatments just for the sound seems a lot less painful though....hehehehe

DF

Mike D

Foam as absorbers
      « Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2004, 09:43 pm »
      Happy Thanksgiving all!

The wall idea is really a must for home value.  Currently I'm just thinking in terms of very cheap, quick fix that could also be used when the room is finished.  Or, after finishing the room, I could move the quick fix treatments to the poker side of the basment with the JoLida and Maggie stereo.  

I'll be talking to some regular folks as well as some contractors to check about finishing that room.

Tim,

Thanks very much for the offer.  Scott has been over and seen my poor basement.  The biggest issue is the lack of walls to the left and behind the stereo.  Perhaps I should really just finish the room with walls, then exploit your generosity and expertise.  :-)