Digital HDTV, DVD, Sat box connection option question

byteme

I've got a JVC 61Z585 on the way  :mrgreen: . My question is on source connection. I've currently got two video sources, E* 811 HD sat box and a Panny RP82 dvd player. The 811 has DVI output, the JVC has HDMI input only. I can easily get a HDMI - DVI cable for that connection and keep the DVD player component.

HOWEVER, am I going to be missing PQ if I don't do an HDMI or DVI output DVD player? Is it worth it to get one of those Geffen switchers AND a new DVD player, run the 811 and the DVD player out to the switch and then into the JVC?

What kind of PQ improvement would there be?  The shootouts over at HT Secrets seem to indicate that picture quality of the newer HDMI/DVI output DVD players (other than the $2.5k Denon) don't hold up to my current RP82, which is still in their all time top 3.

I don't want to spend money and add complexity to the system if it's not going to yeild benefits, however, I have no problem spending the $$ if my PQ is going to go up!

Thanks.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2004, 11:29 pm »
Try out both the DVI & Component connections on the DVDP.

It's going to come down to which piece of gear has the better video DAC. If component looks better, then your DVDP has the better DAC. If DVI looks better, then your display has the better DAC.

Unless you can find someone else that's got the exact same DVDP & display, cables, power delivery, etc., that's already done that comparo for you. But I'm guessing it'll be hard to find such a comparo... :wink:  :lol:

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2004, 12:46 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Try out both the DVI & Component connections on the DVDP.

It's going to come down to which piece of gear has the better video DAC. If component looks better, then your DVDP has the better DAC. If DVI looks better, then your display has the better DAC.

Unless you can find someone else that's got the exact same DVDP & display, cables, power delivery, etc., that's already done that comparo for you. But I'm guessing it'll be hard to find such a comparo... :wink:  :lol:

Sorry, should have been more clear.  The DVD player, panny RP82 only has component out.  I'd have to buy a new DVDP and do a side by side to see if the new one via HDMI looked better than the current via component.  Then, if it did, get a geffen switching box because I'm about 100% sure I'm going to run the Sat box into the TV via DVI.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2004, 03:16 am »
Hey, is your 811 "trouble free" b/c mine sure isn't  :(

When it works, HD looks breathtakingly gorgeous, though.

Even with 1080i upsampling DVD player via DVI or HDMI, you're not going to get that kind of PQ.  But it's damned good and approaches HD with good DVD transfers.

On my Zenith 318 DVD player, DVI definitely looks better than component.  General observation is that DVI/HDMI looks more defined, detailed, vibrant, which is what I see.  

Just remember a lot of people are having problems with DVI to HDMI adapters b/c it introduces black crush.  

Unless you are very unhappy with RP82, if I were in your shoes, I would wait another 6-8 months, pick up a Denon 3910 at a good discounted price, get it modded for Audio.  That's what I'm gonna do  :D

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2004, 04:34 am »
I'm all set for audio with a 7700 modded to turbo status by Steve at Empirical.  

The 811 isn't perfect, I hate the "getting program list" or whatever error it is that has it go get a new program listing every time (it seems) that I hit "guide" and the swap back and forth from OTA HD to E* HD is kludgie at best, in a lot of cases it thinks it has to refind the E* signal which takes about 4-5 minutes.  However, for what it offers and what I paid, it's sure hard to argue with!

I'll most likely keep the RP82 until I get a chance to find an HDMI output DVD player at a local big box B&M and check it out for myself.  If it looks better I'll put the RP82 on the block.  otherwise I can be happy with it.

Now, if the freight company would just get here with the 61Z585!!!