Had time to kill - listened to some hp's

charmerci

Had time to kill - listened to some hp's
« on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:28 pm »
This post will show why I'm not good at audio reviews.  8)

I was in the Chicago airport waiting several hours for my connection when I noticed an InMotion store selling headphones. The nice, pretty knowledgeable, young man encouraged me to listen to anything that they sell even if I wasn't buying.

At first I listened to the B&O H8 Bluetooth hp's, plugged into their machine. Listened to MJ's Thriller as it was the only music I was familiar with. The highs were high and the lows were low. As far as I could tell they were nice but for the money, you could do better.

I never spend more than $100 on hp's but my tastes go beyond that. Over the years, I've grown to really like the Grado sound. I use the old Grado in-ear IGI which I feel is pretty balanced and has a good midrange.

I had my FIIO player to plug into and listened to the Senn. Momentum $99 in ear. Basically, very dull. Didn't like 'em. Then he suggested this new company called RHA. So I listened the the $125 MA750, decent highs and good lows but I wasn't thrilled with the midrange - a bit recessed.

He wanted me to try more expensive ones but by then I wanted to keep it in more my price range. (Though in thinking about it now, I should have tried super-expensive ones. Finally, I tried the Shure SE315's which were $200 whose midrange was better but in putting on my Grados afterward, I was happier with them. A very balanced presentation, nice midrange and smoother sound.

He said he was spoiled by listening to some $850 headphones which I now can't recall.

Geez, there are an infinite number of headphone models out there!!!  :o

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Had time to kill - listened to some hp's
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:41 pm »
Generally people like one house sound over another.  Are you looking for earplugs or full sized headphones?  For full size, try Sennheiser, Grado, Beyerdyanic, Audio Techinica, Sony, Audeze, Stax and Grado.  One of those should have a sound you like.  Then it's just a matter of trying out different models from that manufacturer to hone in on the best choice for you. 

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:51 pm »
Nah, I don't have a budget to buy anything this year. Was just listening. I am eventually looking for an isolating, (noise-cancelling?) great sounding pair for hopefully around $100. ( :lol: just dreaming)

I know over-the-ear are better and more comfortable but they're too bulky but I'm open to them. I like my older Grado in-ears - maybe I should just get off my cheap ass and buy form-fitting plugs for them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2017, 05:15 pm »
If you like the Grados, give the Comply tip a go - it's the best isolater I've found for most IEM's. 

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-series/

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2017, 05:40 pm »
If you like the Grados, give the Comply tip a go - it's the best isolater I've found for most IEM's. 

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-series/

Those aren't too expensive. I don't know why I didn't think about this before.  :duh:

I'll give 'em a try - though it will be a while since I'm overseas..

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2017, 06:08 pm »
I do love the comply tips myself.  Exceptional isolation, and good sound.

PITA to remove and talk to someone though, so I do keep a set of silicone tips around for times when I might have to interact with frequency.

Nice list of fun stuff you were able to try, and thanks for the quick impressions.

In the future - ALWAYS grab an ear of gear when you can!  I always do, regardless of how far out of my $ ballpark it is.

Fun to confirm or deny the 80/20 rule of my own value prop!

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2017, 07:29 pm »
I do love the comply tips myself.  Exceptional isolation, and good sound.

PITA to remove and talk to someone though, so I do keep a set of silicone tips around for times when I might have to interact with frequency.

Nice list of fun stuff you were able to try, and thanks for the quick impressions.

Fun to confirm or deny the 80/20 rule of my own value prop!

Well, the primary reason would be the connecting and 8 hour transatlantic flights that I take most every year from Denver so no problem there. I remember the old M-D L1011 was nice and quiet. These new Boeings and Airbuses are noisy beasts.

What's this 80/20 rule you mention?

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2017, 07:59 pm »
Sorry, the 80/20 rule is the idea that one can approach 80% of the ultimate for 20% of the cost of perfection.  The final mile being the most expensive.

Of course as audio guys (and gals) we often overvalue that last 20% of performance (in my mind).

I am always on the look out for an a piece that provides great value.  Sometimes they cost a fair amount, sometimes not.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2017, 08:14 pm »
80/20 - got it.

Still that means probably $300-500 on a pair of great headphones. A bit too much in my book - for now.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2017, 11:22 pm »
The used market is our friend!

I found a set of 3 month old earphone recently ($500 list) for about 40% of list.

Agree with your target values as the sweet spot for good value though.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm »
Yeah, I got these grados used here off of Kenreau. Best $60(?) I've spent

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2017, 07:30 am »
When getting the Comply tips, if I'm a medium, would the smalls be a good fit too?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2017, 10:24 am »
80/20 - got it.

Still that means probably $300-500 on a pair of great headphones. A bit too much in my book - for now.
HifiMan was not mentioned above, certainly they a planar in this price range.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2017, 11:05 am »
HifiMan was not mentioned above, certainly they a planar in this price range.

Read more carefully. I just said "a bit too much for" me and they are for travel as mentioned above. Not going to use open-backed hp's sitting next to someone on a plane.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2017, 02:57 pm »
I find that for silicone tips I am a large.

For Comply I find that my left ear is a large, but my right is a medium.  A large comply slowly "expands out" of my right ear oddly.

I suspect that if you are an M, you should stick with it.

Are the Grado's a large or small "nozzle" do you know?  I have a set of complys with large bore that I got with a set of other headphones I cannot use.  Both M and L by memory.  I can mail them to you if you want.  Sealed in bags from NuForce.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2017, 03:26 pm »
No they're small - .5 cm wide.

Thanks anyway.