First Post / Intro

JGeorge027

First Post / Intro
« on: 8 Jan 2017, 04:15 pm »
Hello Audio Circle! 

I've been lurking for a bit, and have been in and out of the hobby, but finally registered and wanted to say hello.  Thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge and guidance presented on this site!

My system (currently) consists of the following:

Pre:  McIntosh C34V (sometimes C26)
Amp:  2x NuPrime STA-9's running in bridged mono and/or a McIntosh 2105 (looking to bi-amp soon)
Source(s):  Oppo BDP-83, NuPrime WR-100, McIntosh MR78 Tuner, McIntosh MCD 7000 CD player
Speakers:  VMPS Ribbon Monitor 2

I'm looking to get into some tube stuff at some point, and am eyeing some AVA gear to compare/contrast the current amp/preamp combo.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning a ton!

Jack

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: First Post / Intro
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2017, 05:02 pm »
Welcome Jack :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2017, 08:13 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2017, 08:47 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jack   :thumb:  Nice system. Depending on your location you might find some folks in your area with Frank's gear who'll give you a listen. That is if your not actually  in Frank's neighborhood.

JGeorge027

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2017, 09:04 pm »
Thanks, all!  Glad to be here...

Forgot to mention, I'm in sunny South Florida.  (But from Pittsburgh originally and am really enjoying the Steelers/Dolphins game today!)

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2017, 09:18 pm »
Welcome !
Go Steelers!!! :thumb:

JGeorge027

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2017, 03:58 pm »
Exciting news!  I've only been on here 5 days and I've replaced my preamp with an AVA Fet Valve CF.  Had a great transaction with a forum member and I'm really excited to get the AVA in the system! 

ArthurDent

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2017, 05:41 pm »
Exciting news!  I've only been on here 5 days and I've replaced my preamp with an AVA Fet Valve CF.  Had a great transaction with a forum member and I'm really excited to get the AVA in the system!

Nice snag, I think you'll like it, and it's a great intro to Frank's gear.  :thumb:

JGeorge027

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:47 am »
I've been having a blast with the new gear, but would like some advice on getting into the DAC and/or Hi-Res game.  I'm primarily streaming Tidal or Spotify to the NuPrime WR-100 and then into the AVA Fet Valve.  Some CD's from the Oppo, but more streaming.  I have started looking at downloading some higher quality music files but could use some advice on how to start and what/where/how the DAC would play into this rig.  Thinking of something inexpensive to start (relatively), such as the Oppo Sonica, NuPrime's, Schiit, etc.

I guess it's a two part question...how do I make my current streaming/CD listening even better, and then is there something that will also serve for the longer run when I build up a collection on hard drive/USB/NAS.

Thanks in advance...

Jack

bluemeanies

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm »
Hello audiocircle, I am what many would consider a newbie on this forum and consider it to be on the top of my list. As matter of fact there are only two forums that I condsider like able and informative and member friendly. audiocircle is one of them.
Recently I tried to post pictures of my system and while I WAS able to upload them they were upside down or side ways. I cannot figure how to delete the pictures and re-enter them into an album.
In addition why would the above happen?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JGeorge027

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:19 pm »
Not sure why bluemeanies' post ended up in this thread but bumping up to see if anyone has an guidance on my DAC / Hi-Res questions...

I don't know the answer to his question, either!

Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:51 pm »
Hello audiocircle, I am what many would consider a newbie on this forum and consider it to be on the top of my list. As matter of fact there are only two forums that I condsider like able and informative and member friendly. audiocircle is one of them.
Recently I tried to post pictures of my system and while I WAS able to upload them they were upside down or side ways. I cannot figure how to delete the pictures and re-enter them into an album.
In addition why would the above happen?

Thanks in advance for any help.
To keep it simple and easy you must adjust images size and side up your images in your PC image software as Paint etc.

To delete a image from your albums select the image and press Delete Image. To upload a image into a album you must start the procedure from the desired album.

ArthurDent

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:56 pm »
You will probably get better viewing & response starting a new thread(s) with your question on DACs in one of the other areas, maybe Discless or HiRez ? As to bang for the buck it will probably be hard to beat the Shiit Modi 2 unit. I have older AVA Insight, and Fet Valve Dacs, used with HiFace2 units for computer playback as well as CDs, but things have moved on a lot in that area over the last 8 yrs. A friend picked up a Modi 2 unit a while back, and given his most modest system it sounds far better than it has any right to. There are numerous other cost effective units available from my reading here on AC. Do some searches for DAC threads, you can probably find plenty of info. Good luck in the hunt.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2017, 04:10 pm »
I've been having a blast with the new gear, but would like some advice on getting into the DAC and/or Hi-Res game.  I'm primarily streaming Tidal or Spotify to the NuPrime WR-100 and then into the AVA Fet Valve.  Some CD's from the Oppo, but more streaming.  I have started looking at downloading some higher quality music files but could use some advice on how to start and what/where/how the DAC would play into this rig.  Thinking of something inexpensive to start (relatively), such as the Oppo Sonica, NuPrime's, Schiit, etc.

I guess it's a two part question...how do I make my current streaming/CD listening even better, and then is there something that will also serve for the longer run when I build up a collection on hard drive/USB/NAS.

Thanks in advance...

Jack
I cant help you alot but located some guidance from a member:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/

JGeorge027

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2017, 04:59 pm »
Thanks for the input and links!  I'll start a new thread in one of the other Circles...