Receiver upgrade options

chip

Receiver upgrade options
« on: 5 Jan 2017, 10:54 pm »
I am looking at probably upgrading my SC-25 that I have.

Requirements for receiver - Key things I use from my SC-25 and some items missing since getting a 4k tv.

Items Missing on SC-25:
HDCP 2.2 for 4K Video
HDR-compatible

Items I use on SC-25:

Zone 2 for music in the backyard
5.1 setup
Auto Speaker Calibration
Support DD, TrueHD, DD+, EX don’t care about Dolby Atoms right now
Pure Direct mode

For price range under $800 max which models might you recommend to go with the Goldenear supersats speakers. Supersat 50s R/L, 60C, 3s for rears and two 15 inch subs in a room that is 11' 6" deep by 12' 6" wide.

I just started looking into my options. I am willing to buy refurb from say accessories4less as I see there list has grown not sure if that is a good/bad thing.

In the past I have not been a huge fan of Denon/Yamaha.

Big Red Machine

Re: Receiver upgrade options
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2017, 11:50 pm »
Bought the Yamaha 2060 from acessories4less because I wanted Atmos and all the latest video processing and wanted to do it for the lowest price possible. Did not need a bunch of watts for my small setup. I am very happy with that unit. I love the Atmos sound (I put the ceiling speakers in for this ahead of time) but what I also appreciate is that the HDMI connections are so smart these days that when I turn off the Directv receiver, the Sony tv and the Yamaha all turn off as well. I had no idea that would ever work, but it does.

I also like the surround modes you can play with but the basic set-up is the receiver plays whatever you tell the DVD player to play at movie set-up by default. If you don't like that, then go ahead and tweak away while the move is playing. But it does not say Atmos across the screen when you play a movie that is already Atmos.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2017, 12:04 am »
Bought the Yamaha 2060 from acessories4less because I wanted Atmos and all the latest video processing and wanted to do it for the lowest price possible. Did not need a bunch of watts for my small setup. I am very happy with that unit. I love the Atmos sound (I put the ceiling speakers in for this ahead of time) but what I also appreciate is that the HDMI connections are so smart these days that when I turn off the Directv receiver, the Sony tv and the Yamaha all turn off as well. I had no idea that would ever work, but it does.

I also like the surround modes you can play with but the basic set-up is the receiver plays whatever you tell the DVD player to play at movie set-up by default. If you don't like that, then go ahead and tweak away while the move is playing. But it does not say Atmos across the screen when you play a movie that is already Atmos.

While I have access to Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon, I found I personally liked the Yammie the best too.

The APP is also really user friendly on an iPAD or Tablet.  :thumb:

I ended up with the CX A5100, but the 3060 and 2060 AVRs have almost the same feature sets.

chip

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2017, 03:25 am »
Lower price point though....Like I mentioned $800 or less.

Odal3

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2017, 05:03 am »
While I have access to Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon, I found I personally liked the Yammie the best too.

Curious to hear why you prefer the Yamaha. I have been looking at some at the lower end of the Aventage series. Is there much difference in sound quality when going up in price class or is it more features and watts that you get for the extra money?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2017, 05:35 am »

Hi Guys:

Not 100 percent sure about this but wasn't Yamaha the first to get into surround sound?
  I was in the market for speakers many years ago and the salesman played a CD in surround sound.
  Impressive!! Not sure but I thought it was a Yamaha system. I'm going back to the 1980's or earlier.

Cheers
                                          Charlie

chip

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2017, 03:22 pm »
Curious to hear why you prefer the Yamaha. I have been looking at some at the lower end of the Aventage series. Is there much difference in sound quality when going up in price class or is it more features and watts that you get for the extra money?

Here is some good info on the Yamaha RX-A series - http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/aventage-rx-a-60-preview

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2017, 03:28 pm »

1) Upper models use the ESS Sabre 9016 (also the Pioneer Elite does too)
2) I like their Volume Control
3) I like the Control App and functions

While I am not a fan of most of the brands amp sections Yamaha has improved the most in sound quality, but a close second and third are the Pioneer Elite, and Marantz.

I am only referencing the AVENTAGE level models and have not auditioned the lower series so can't offer my preference.

kbuzz3

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2017, 06:21 pm »
not to hijack but im debating between going sonos bar/sub for ease of use for kids v. an AVR.   I already have three small fronts and only need 3.1 or at most 5.1 . Would you still go Yamaha if dont need atmos and you only needed'

5.1 or less
preferably with networking of some kind (kids use spotify i use tidal)
pass through if they want to use the tv without the powering up the receiver
less  then $500

thanks...

Odal3

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:31 am »
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I been reading some reviews but rarely see any mentions about sound quality. Some say the Yamaha is a little bit more on the bright side. Is there any truth to that?

Chip looks like accessoriesfor less has a few receivers in your budget range. Here's one: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6010/marantz-sr6010-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/bonus-denon-earbuds/1.html

I have only heard the 7xxx series which sounded pretty good.