Hi from me at Propeller Mastering

Chris sansom

Hi from me at Propeller Mastering
« on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:46 am »
Chris Sansom here - chief mastering engineer here at Propeller Mastering in Oslo

Love great songs - played on fantastic equipment in a properly designed room. But most important is the song and performance!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi from me at Propeller Mastering
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:59 am »
Welcome Chris Sansom :thumb:
Any DSD recorder?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm »
Welcome   :thumb:

And great priorities!!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:32 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Chris    :thumb:

Chris sansom

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:54 pm »
Thanks for the welcome gents!

We can work with dxd and dsd recordings here but to be honest it's extremely rare still. Have been experimenting with MQA recently too.

Most exciting thing these days on the technical side is loudness normalization and lossless streaming. When combined - boom - game changer. The key though is educating artists and labels. There is no point in making things super loud unless you for artistic reasons want that kind of sound. Important to remember that some artists do want this as a sound. So we have to respect that too.

But I also have a decade of work backed up without dynamic processing for level. Let's see if the labels come knocking for some dynamic recall.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:58 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2017, 03:18 pm »
Thanks for inform Chris, I wonder why its difficult to edit DSD?

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2017, 03:25 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Chris sansom

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2017, 06:10 pm »
DSD is a 1 bit format. So in its native form you can't edit it. You either need to convert to multi bit dsd or DXD (Pyramix that we use does the latter).

Personally I think you can get amazing results with well recorded PCM. The white paper regarding MQA has some interesting ideas about hires. For me the most interesting is the importance of timing information that is lost at lower sampling rates.

But - as ever - would rather hear a great song on cassette than a bad one on 24bit 192kHz!

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2017, 06:26 pm »

EDIT

But - as ever - would rather hear a great song on cassette than a bad one on 24bit 192kHz!

Chris,

My thoughts exactly.  That is why so much hi-res and "audiophile-perfect" recordings leave me cold. Perfectly passionless.   :icon_frown:  Welcome to AudioCircle.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2017, 07:54 pm »
DSD is a 1 bit format. So in its native form you can't edit it. You either need to convert to multi bit dsd or DXD (Pyramix that we use does the latter).

Personally I think you can get amazing results with well recorded PCM. The white paper regarding MQA has some interesting ideas about hires. For me the most interesting is the importance of timing information that is lost at lower sampling rates.

Thanks Chris you most kind, I fell less dumb now.