Help with speaker seletion

bjosh8

Help with speaker seletion
« on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:30 pm »
Hello all,

I am shopping for speakers system, 5.1. I have limited space so going for a bookshelf. I had listened to Paradigm some time back and liked the quality. Are there any comparable speakers in terms of sound quality or for the same money can get better quality? My budget is $2000 for speakers. Any views on Magnepan?

Pl guide me in buying process.

Thanks,

BJ

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Help with speaker seletion
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:44 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC BJ   :thumb:   Never fear, you'll get a good bit of input on both your questions.  8)

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:56 pm »
You couldn't possibly do better than this, not for the money.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146368.msg1580133;topicseen#new

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:24 pm »
Hello BJ,

You are going to need a sub.  Do you already own one, or is it to be figured into your 2 grand budget?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm »
Hi, BJ.

ArthurDent is correct. We'll probably trip all over ourselves trying to help you out.  :lol:

Before any of us can truly help you, you must first give us more information. Max already asked the first question that came to my mind, "Do you already have a subwoofer?"

Is the $2000 budget for the front L/R, center and two surrounds only, or is the sub included in the $2k budget?

What AVR do you have? (how many watts/channel?)

You said space is limited, so bookshelf speakers are necessary. What sized bookshelf speakers can your space accommodate (HxWxD)? Will you use stands for the speakers? Will the surrounds be mounted on the wall?

Will you consider 3.1 first with the idea of adding surrounds later when more money is available? [The advantage of this is you can buy a lot higher SQ with 3.1 first and only lose a little of the 'surround' information until you can add the surround speakers later.]

Have you considered (or heard) HT with front L/R speakers only? With good quality front left and right speakers supported by a subwoofer, very good quality can be enjoyed. No, it won't be immersive like a theater, but 90% of the experience is in the front anyway IMHO.

Where are you located?

Welcome to AC.

Michael

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2017, 12:05 am »
You couldn't possibly do better than this, not for the money.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146368.msg1580133;topicseen#new
Welcome, and Folsom is right about this deal.  It is a very high quality set.  Add a sub later if needed, since the bass of the main speakers gets into the upper 40's IIRC.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:20 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:29 am »
I agree with Michael's advise LF/RF monitors with a sub approach.  If you don't need to dial bass up or down you could go one step further:  with just two full-range floor standers you can get 85% of a 5.1 system.  After my sub died I replaced my LF/RF monitors with floor standers and have barely skipped a beat.  This approach also allows for use of cheaper/higher quality stereo amplifier versus a multi-channel receiver and of course higher quality speakers that take up less floor space. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2017, 05:49 am »
Nothing wrong with Paradigm.  Others to consider would be the Elac Uni-fi series ( have not heard the Elacs but the reviews are great) , PSB, Monitor Audio Silver line and the great sounding B&W 600 series.  685's for the front, 686's for the rear and a nice SVS or HSU sub.  You should be able to listen to the B&W's at a Best Buy Magnolia store.    I would also consider Martin Logan Motion series for HT.  I really like the clarity of the Martin Logans for HT use.  Best Buy Magnolia also carries them.  (I can't believe I am recommending BB)

I agree with other people about going 3.1 or 3.0 with floor standers and no sub for the time being.

I am a Magnepan owner ( also own Monitor Audio and PSB) and they have their issues with HT but they work and the speakers can be mounted on the wall.