First post and introduction

tap_or_nap113

First post and introduction
« on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:14 am »
Hi all,
I have been into music and hi/fi since i was 12 and am 40 now.  I have evolved over the years going from mostly rap and hip hop as a child to rock and metal to pop, country, jazz and classical.  I love acoustic music these days and am searching for that "perfect sound" as I presume most of you are.  I'm thoroughly enjoying the chase anyhow.  I have read several topics and it seems there are a friendly and knowledgeable group here.  I look forward to learning and growing in the infinite search for audio perfection with you guys.  Thanks.

Reed Marshall

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: First post and introduction
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2017, 04:56 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Reed   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2017, 05:10 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2017, 11:07 am »
Welcome Reed.

Acoustical (unamplified) live music is the gold standard to use for evaluating audio gear as the rest is simply comparing your gear with someone else's.  But as listening is such a personal endeavor and a variety of musical forms there will probably never be "that perfect sound".  Our audio tastes and perceptions change, technology marches on, we learn more, and hopefully pocketbooks get a bit deeper.  So as you say, the chase continues. 

IMO the entire system must be considered and for speaker based systems that must include the room.  Seems that most fixate on gear and whenever possible "over gear" compared to the given listening space that is too small, odd shaped, poorly furnished, and/or doesn't allow proper setup for serious listening.  By proper setup I generically refer to sharing the space with other functions/people.  If you can't provide a decent room, be honest with yourself and drop back to desktop or headphone listening.  I dare say the listening room, being smaller, is more important than the concert hall.  Doesn't have to be a dedicated/designed room, but at least fit the speakers to the room.

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2017, 12:25 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:06 pm »
Welcome Mr. Marshall :thumb: I happy you evolved to Jazz and Classical, once a teenager get used to these low grade ''music'' you mention its rare they leave it for the entire life.
Glad you came in.