Interesting story about the first Apple store in Europe

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Check this out.  Good for a chuckle.  I guess I'm not the only one amused by the loopiness of the Apple fanatics.

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2004, 01:38 pm »
The writer of the article has a bit of whit too.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2004, 09:29 pm »
apple fanatics?  really?   :lol:

Branded : An Apple employee with an Apple logo shaved in his hair stands in front of company logo at the opening of their first European Apple Store on London's Regent Street. (AFP/Carl de Souza)

doug s.

jakepunk

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2004, 11:42 pm »
I got a chuckle, too!

OK, that was really mean.  I should know better than to instigate a "PC vs. Mac" debate.  But my point is, don't knock it until you've tried it.  I like not getting the blue screen of death, browsers that don't get hijacked, and software that is a joy to use.  I can't play kickass games on my mac, and I have to pay a premium for more expensive hardware, but that financial tradeoff is worth the time i save not having to futz around with device drivers, kernel panics, and hardware incompatibilities.  

Drink the Kool Aid.  Join us.

Posted from my new Powerbook! :duel:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2004, 12:06 am »
Despite the legends of Windows ills, I've experienced very very few of them (that's to say almost none with the newest version, although I won't install SP2 yet).  Never seen the famed BSoD, either.  But that's not the issue.  The story is really about the pretense and flakiness of the Apple fad, not an analysis of their hardware.  The iPod is a superb example- a good user interface, but everyone I know who's compared a cross section of the HD portables ranks the 'pod about 3rd in sound quality behind the Zen Nomad and the iRiver (although many argue which of the latter two are better).

It's funny that so many people swallow the "think different" sales pitch and think they can buy individuallity by standing in a line 1,000 deep to all buy the same thing! :lol:   C'mon, sheeplings!  Lots of people have pet brands (just look at AC).  And in ways we somewhat define ourselves by what we buy (read the VMPS Circle).  But ultimately we can't buy personality.  You don't need Steve's compressed file player to assert your uniqueness.  Especially not now that every kid and his dog has one.

Reminds me of The Life of Brian:  Brian- "You are all individuals!"  Crowd- "We are all individuals!" :lol:

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2004, 01:01 am »
Apple fired all the people who "thought different" long ago.  I suspect in another 10 years they will get OSX into a usable shape.  In the meantime we've got Haxies I guess.

For the record I got my first "BSOD" in Jaguar today.  Screen is black instead of blue, but it's the same general thing: all your work lost, message on the screen telling you you've gotta restart...

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2004, 01:44 pm »
Never had the BSOD?  I can't believe that.  I had one at least once every two days on my work computer and once a week or so on my home computer (rarely used).  The new MS XP seems to be better, but 98 and progeny were pure crap, especially when you compared them to Unix.  I still don't like the interface and absolutely HATE that the browser is "built into" the operating system, but I have to use MS products.  

As for IPod, I'm going to buy this over other versions.  I really don't care about sound quality (which is why I have a HT system that costs more than my car; if I want sound quality, I fire up the HT system, not an MP3 player) -- I just want to listen to music with a nice interface.

brj

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2004, 04:11 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
The iPod is a superb example- a good user interface, but everyone I know who's compared a cross section of the HD portables ranks the 'pod about 3rd in sound quality behind the Zen Nomad and the iRiver (although many argue which of the latter two are better).

Just out of curiousity, was the noted difference really between the players themselves or the included headphones?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2004, 03:45 am »
Supposedly the players themselves, but I'm going on what I've been told, not personal experience.  Personally, if I buy an HD-based player, I'll buy a Zen Nomad.   I'm a cheapskate, so I'll go with the cheaper one.   You can get their biggest HD for $50 less than an iPod several sizes down, and they're supposed to be coming out with an 80 Gig model pretty soon.  Even with wav.files that's like 150 CDs! :o