Em2016

« on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:24 am »
Hi all, new to this forum. Looking for info on integrated amps as well as separates. Looking forward to learning a lot here :-)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:40 am »
Welcome Em2016 :thumb:
Do you prefer tube amps, Class D or SS?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2016, 11:48 am »
Welcome.

Audio is a journey as much as a destination.   

First consideration is a practical one.  Do you have a decent room for audio?  Not tiny, shaped like a cube, somewhere that you can develop an good layout (symmetrical with speakers/listening position away from walls), and while listening dedicated to audio?  If not, you should think hard about going with a minimal in-room system and concentrate on headphones for serious listening.

At this point you probably know what musical genres you prefer, so grab a good cross-section of favorites and go shopping.  Look for audio-only shops, don't waste time in big box stores, and try to avoid A/V-audio places.  Take notes (will force you to really listen and help you remember afterwards).  Limit how many different setups you listen to per day to no more than six but take your time.  Try to audition systems near your budget.  Look for a local audio club to join.  Attending an audio show can be a hoot, but overwhelming with $$$$$ systems.

Next is budget.  In my 40+ years at this, there has never been a better time to be a frugal audiophile thanks to digital advances and internet direct marketing.  Check out some superb systems on the Cheap & Cheerful circle.  Again, it's a journey as you learn what audio attributes you most cherish and what gear can get you there.  Focus on quality, not size, not a multitude of drivers, impressive specifications, or tons of features you probably won't use.  Keep in mind that additional sources and subwoofers can be added later.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2016, 02:06 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2016, 02:23 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  Em2016   :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2016, 03:18 pm »
Welcome to the sweet spot!

Em2016

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:12 am »
Hi all and thanks for the welcomes ! :-)

I've owned Class D (Peachtree 125se and 220se) and been a fan. Happy to stay with Class D or try Class A and Class AB also.

Something with a quality high current power supply and budget is up to USD4000 because I want this amp to take me to 2025 hopefully with no more upgrades lol

The Vinnie Rossi VR120 looks quite interesting and the 10 year warranty gets be to 2026 so that's a big factor ! It's right up top on my list. I've asked some questions on their sub-forum.

Also considering second hand Pass Labs and Plinius and Mark Levinson integrateds which could come under that budget.

No digital inputs necessary because I have a Dac already.

Appreciate any ideas

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:28 am »
Hi, En2016.

Welcome to AC.

I came here a noob, too. This is a great place to gain knowledge and experience. Enjoy yourself!

Michael