Looking for my first real turntable

Folsom

Re: Looking for my first real turntable
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2016, 07:46 am »
My beef isn't with the bearing, it's the "science" for it. But in general I wouldn't say the recommended approach is something that can move farther than micron's of oil.

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2016, 08:57 pm »
Made in Detroit designed by VPI.

Runwell Turntable-$2500
Wieighs 50 pounds and comes with arm and Ortofon Blue-Just ittroduced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg5APY7mz0Q
https://www.shinola.com/thejournal/news/products/introducing-runwell-turntable

tipatina

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2016, 11:44 pm »
The WTA Amadeus Mk2 has been in my sst em for a couple of years. No regrets.

linnlingo

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2016, 01:17 am »
I would check out the WOWXL by acoustic Signature. Their whole line is outstanding. :thumb:

stevoz

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2016, 01:27 am »
This is an interesting looking turntable and well within your budget, plus it's made in the USA.

https://www.shinola.com/audio.html?gclid=CPW0mtnz79ACFZFefgodxpAJog
This is one gorgeous looking TT, RPM123! Wow, what a stunner......
or the all black model:

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2016, 02:16 am »
Too bad they decided to put a built in phono preamp inside. Might as well buy a VPI Scout Jr.

Wayner

stevoz

« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2016, 02:46 am »
Too bad they decided to put a built in phono preamp inside. Might as well buy a VPI Scout Jr.

Wayner
Maybe it's actually a decent one....... :thumb: and surely you can bypass it anyway?

rotarius

« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2016, 04:23 am »
Shinola.....interesting but for that kind of money maybe they should have included a magnetic antiskate device, heck even a string weight.  It's annoying to me that VPI offers some add-on contraption for their arms that one has to buy separately.

RPM123

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jan 2017, 06:23 pm »
FYI -  "Part Time Audiophile" named the Shinola Runwell turntable "Product of the Year" for 2016!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/12/24/best-of-2016-and-product-of-the-year/

"Best of 2016
The Best of the Year product is something that is, ideally, the best of it’s kind, the most revolutionary, the most impactful, the most disruptive thing. You know, the one that the market didn’t see coming.

This year’s winner was one of those products.

Yes, it has a familiarity to it. If you’re an audiophile of a certain age, chances are you’ve owned a turntable. But that’s not what makes this one interesting. This one, this particular one, is different. Part of that is provenance. Part of that is quality. Part of that is price. Part of that — and a big part at that — is the disruptive power that the company behind it represents.

The big challenge to audio’s high end today, at least as we see it here at Part-Time Audiophile, is relevance to the everyday consumer. Making audio interesting, sexy, appealing, attractive and fun again in what is increasingly looking to be a post-Apple artisanal “Cool World” is going to need some thing different. And this is.

Winner: Shinola Audio Runwell Turntable

best-poty-2016Dr K: Never seen it, never heard it, but the Runwell will be a major success, thanks to the people behind it. VPI’s Weisfeld family and Shinola’s Alex Rosson are about to give a huge new boost to the analog world.

Scot: I have seen it and have heard it, and it’s a complete broadside into the prevailing digital audio market. The size and power of the company behind the Runwell means everything here, but that sells the product itself short — and that’s a mistake. As far as “entry level” turntables go, I challenge you to find a better-built one at this price.

A most impressive debut for a most impressive new high-end entrant, Shinola Audio."

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:04 pm »
Nope, you're all wrong. I'm betting the faithful will be leaping in to get their hands on this (no dis to Shinola or VPI intended, fantastic products indeed).

http://elac.com/product-category/miracord-anniversary-turntable/

Cheers,
Lester

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:39 pm »
FYI -  "Part Time Audiophile" named the Shinola Runwell turntable "Product of the Year" for 2016!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/12/24/best-of-2016-and-product-of-the-year/

"Best of 2016
The Best of the Year product is something that is, ideally, the best of it’s kind, the most revolutionary, the most impactful, the most disruptive thing. You know, the one that the market didn’t see coming.

This year’s winner was one of those products.

Yes, it has a familiarity to it. If you’re an audiophile of a certain age, chances are you’ve owned a turntable. But that’s not what makes this one interesting. This one, this particular one, is different. Part of that is provenance. Part of that is quality. Part of that is price. Part of that — and a big part at that — is the disruptive power that the company behind it represents.

The big challenge to audio’s high end today, at least as we see it here at Part-Time Audiophile, is relevance to the everyday consumer. Making audio interesting, sexy, appealing, attractive and fun again in what is increasingly looking to be a post-Apple artisanal “Cool World” is going to need some thing different. And this is.

Winner: Shinola Audio Runwell Turntable

Dr K: Never seen it, never heard it, but the Runwell will be a major success, thanks to the people behind it. VPI’s Weisfeld family and Shinola’s Alex Rosson are about to give a huge new boost to the analog world.

Scot: I have seen it and have heard it, and it’s a complete broadside into the prevailing digital audio market. The size and power of the company behind the Runwell means everything here, but that sells the product itself short — and that’s a mistake. As far as “entry level” turntables go, I challenge you to find a better-built one at this price.

Product of the Year without even a formal review out on it yet? Not at all clear the circumstances under which Scot heard it or what comparisons he made to other TTs. Seems a bit suspect. To me there are a lot of solid turntable options around that pricepoint: Avid, VPI, Well Tempered, Rega and others all have options around that price.

A most impressive debut for a most impressive new high-end entrant, Shinola Audio."

rotarius

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:50 pm »
"As far as “entry level” turntables go, I challenge you to find a better-built one at this price"

Where on earth does a $2500 TT qualify as entry level? :wtf: These fools are so out of touch.

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:57 pm »
"As far as “entry level” turntables go, I challenge you to find a better-built one at this price"

Where on earth does a $2500 TT qualify as entry level? :wtf: These fools are so out of touch.

A good point. Especially considering how well received the much much less expensive U-Turn and Fluance tables have been. Not to mention entry Project and Rega, etc.

Folsom

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:15 pm »
I disagree. For awhile all I owned were the sub $1k tables, and frankly none of them where very good. Now I use a vintage one that would easily exceed $1k new, now.

I'd say the VPI Scout is a bit closer to entry point however, as there's several below $2k, above $1k, that are worth the effort (new tables).

Slam

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:25 pm »
I just got a Clearaudio Concept and am loving it. They are available for a lot less than you are looking to spend. Worth an audition if possible.

RPM123

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:33 pm »

I think he means, "entry level" to the high end..."A most impressive debut for a most impressive new high-end entrant, Shinola Audio." It's all relative on what constitutes high end in many peoples minds. If your entire system amounts to a couple of thousand dollars, then yeah, $2500 would seem like a lot of $$. On the other hand, for systems worth in the high 4 or 5 figures, not so much.

twitch54

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2017, 12:19 am »
I think he means, "entry level" to the high end..."A most impressive debut for a most impressive new high-end entrant, Shinola Audio." It's all relative on what constitutes high end in many peoples minds. If your entire system amounts to a couple of thousand dollars, then yeah, $2500 would seem like a lot of $$. On the other hand, for systems worth in the high 4 or 5 figures, not so much.

exactly and if one's entire system amounts to a couple of thousand bucks then IMO even considering getting into vinyl (unless you own a decent collection of LP's) is totally insane ..............

sebrof

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jan 2017, 12:46 am »
+1 for Well Tempered Lab. I have a WTL Amadeus MKII and love it, although no cue makes it not for everyone. ~ $2,800.
The VPI Prime is a little more ($3,500?) but probably a great table as well.
If that Shinola sounds as good as it looks that would be a great buy IMO

rotarius

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:40 am »

I disagree.  He did not say entry to high end, he said entry-level.  In any case,  these kind of reviews are meaningless, come to think of it most audio reviews are.  Has someone compared a $2.5K TT to a $1.5K TT side by side with the same cartridge and concluded the $1.5K TT is not "entry level" worthy?  Surely, something like a Rega P5 or RP6 or Marantz TT15 would be a nice entry to analog playback.   

sebrof

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:52 am »
Has someone compared a $2.5K TT to a $1.5K TT side by side with the same cartridge and concluded the $1.5K TT is not "entry level" worthy? 
Comparing tables is difficult to do because the need for cartridge alignment.

My only two "apples to apples" (or at least close) that may or may not be relevant if I understand your question:
1. A friend went from a ~$3K table to a ~$12K table, same cart and all and the difference was huge. This was the first time I realized how much difference a table makes and drove me to buy a new table (#2)
2. I brought my ~$1,000 table to the dealer and played a few records, then moved my cart to the table I was considering (my current Well Tempered $2,800 table) and again, big big difference.

Neither of these experiences is in any way proof or whatever, but has reinforced one of my Audio mantras: You get what you pay for (the other mantra being "You don't need to spend a lot to get very good sound").