Sat 11/27 session?

Mad DOg

Sat 11/27 session?
« on: 20 Nov 2004, 05:59 am »
prob better to start a new thread for a listening session...

who's game?

shokunin

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2004, 06:24 am »
I'm game.    I'd like to compare my modded sony sacd player and see it stacks up to the Dodson(s) and EA's hot-rodded P3A.

Mad DOg

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2004, 08:23 am »
shokunin,

do you know if you'll have the placette active back by sat if we have the listening session?

Jon L

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2004, 09:01 pm »
Where and what time on 11/27?

I thought the Dodson DAC wasn't available that day, no?

Anyhow, I'm working 11/27, so I might have to make a "private tour" on another day...

Mad DOg

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2004, 09:30 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Where and what time on 11/27?

I thought the Dodson DAC wasn't available that day, no?

Anyhow, I'm working 11/27, so I might have to make a "private tour" on another day...
not sure if the dodson 218 will be available, but the 263 is in da house right now...

shokunin

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2004, 11:25 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
shokunin,

do you know if you'll have the placette active back by sat if we have the listening session?

Placette is already back and playing!!  Also, burning in the modded player, which takes several hundred hours to burn in (so I'm told), so I'll leave it on for the next week.

Mad DOg

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2004, 11:57 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
shokunin,

Placette is already back and playing!!  Also, burning in the modded player, which takes several hundred hours to burn in (so I'm told), so I'll leave it on for the next week.

forgot to mention, i got some EVS stepped attenuators...Jon L is absolutely right on...these things sound REALLY great! not lacking in drive and dynamics compared to the other passives i've had in my system even driving the 86dB Thiels... sonics are incredibly pure...

Jon L

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2004, 06:49 am »
shokunin,

forgot to mention, i got some EVS stepped attenuators...Jon L is absolutely right on...these things sound REALLY great! not lacking in drive and dynamics compared to the othe ...

Heh, told'ya so  :)

But 86dB Thiels?  Come on, be reasonable..

Tonight I'm hooked up with 4g iPod via line-out to EVS attentuators into my main system sporting 95dB sensitive speakers.  Dynamics are peeling paint off my walls out of my measly iPod.  

I'm telling you guys, there's definitely something going right with hard-drive solutions.  I really need to assemble a PC-based front-end ASAP.

Mad DOg

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2004, 07:07 am »
Heh, told'ya so  :)

But 85dB Thiels?  Come on, be reasonable..

yeah, you are one of the few guys whose opinions i trust implicitly...which is EXACTLY why i snagged a pair of these... :)

as far as them sounding awesome driving the Thiels? come on over and hear for yourself...they're not lacking in dynamics or drive at all! surprised the heck out of me! :o esp since the placette passive sounded pretty awful in my system driving the higher sensitivity 4jrs, i figured they'd sound pretty awful! but they don't!!!  :o  :o  

i picked these up cuz i figured it would be good to have a pair of these on hand since they're affordable and i wanted something that i could count on to be neutral and uncolored. who'd thunk they'd work as well as they do w/ the thiels?  :o  :o  :o  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2004, 07:37 am »
Jon L:
Tonight I'm hooked up with 4g iPod via line-out to EVS attentuators into my main system...
    Looking at the EVS website....would
these be the ones you mentioned ? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]

shokunin

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2004, 06:45 pm »

forgot to mention, i got some EVS stepped attenuators...Jon L is absolutely right on...these things sound REALLY great! not lacking in drive and dynamics compared to the othe ...

Man, I need to get a pair of these myself to level match my amps.  At least Ric is now producing them again.

Jon L

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2004, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Jon L:
Tonight I'm hooked up with 4g iPod via line-out to EVS attentuators into my main system...
    Looking at the EVS website....would
these be the ones you mentioned ? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]

Yup, they are the ones.  Rick stopped production on these for a long time, which was a real shame.  Now that they are available again, get yours while they last!  Every time I see them on A-gon, they are gone in 30 seconds.

BTW, aren't they just the most beautifully executed example of simplicity and quality?  I can tell you these "nude" models sound far more transparent compared to similar designs using a traditional chassis/RCA connectors, internal wiring, etc.

Sa-dono

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2004, 06:36 am »
These EVS Ultimate Attenuators look like a nice design. Their approach seems to be similar to the Placette active, in regard to lessening/removing the effects of one set of interconnects. The upside of the EVS being the removal of power and a set of IC's, and the upside of the Placette being the addition of remote control and more steps of volume control.

It does look like there is potential for improvement.

Jon,

Have you experimented with higher quality connectors, cryo treatment, contact enhancers, and/or vibration dampers with the EVS UA's?

Mad DOg

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2004, 07:20 am »
Looks like it might be Dec 4th instead... :(

The EA modded P-3/A was shipped out today. From Oregon to CA is 3 days via UPS which in my book would mean a Friday arrival, but for some reason, it isn't sched'd to arrive until next Monday, 11/29.  :?

Anyhow, it looks like the listening session may be better off happening on Sat. Dec 4th instead...The Dodson 218 should definitely be available Dec. 4th.

So how does Dec 4 look for everyone? Jon L, Shokunin, John Casler, Cryotweaks...?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2004, 02:20 am »
I'd be interested in joining you folks on Dec. 4th.  

I might have a shrimpy little tube preamp lying around here somewhere.  I could bring it down if you think it would be manley enough for your rig.
 :wink:

The equitech is also available if there's interest.

Russtafarian

Jon L

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2004, 03:08 am »
Ah, I knew somebody up there wants me to hear the Dodson.  12/4 would work out nicely for me.  

As far as tweaking the EVS UA, it already comes with some dampening material stuck to the RCA barrel.  The RCA is of high quality already, and yes the new WBT Nextgens or Bulletplugs would be more purist, but I don't think either would be as sturdy as these RCA barrels, which you need b/c it has to support a lot of weight on both ends.  

Walker SST...  Well, I keep looking for some for cheap, and now there's the SST Extremem for more $  I dunno...

For EVS UA, I would have to say, don't fix it if it ain't broke..  Folks, this was a hard lesson to learn that took many mistrials to really "get."

Sa-dono

Sat 11/27 session?
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:18 am »

As far as tweaking the EVS UA, it already comes with some dampening material stuck to the RCA barrel.  The RCA is of high quality already, and yes the new WBT Nextgens or Bulletplugs would be more purist, but I don't think either would be as sturdy as these RCA barrels, which you need b/c it has to support a lot of weight on both ends.  

Walker SST... Well, I keep looking for some for cheap, and now there's the SST Extremem for more $ I dunno...

For EVS UA, I would have to say, don't fix it if it ain't broke.. Folks, this was a hard lesson to learn that took many mistrials to really "get."

Thanks for the info! I was wondering about the weight. I will have to check with Ric about this.

I agree there is something to that mantra...but that would take the fun out of tweaking and trying new things. Plus, technically you could say things are broke, as they aren't completely "purist". :mrgreen:

If I do supe up a pair, we'll have to do a comparison sometime.