VPI Shelf Goldielocks

Syrah

VPI Shelf Goldielocks
« on: 1 Dec 2016, 03:00 pm »
I'm surprised that there are not more posts comparing various shelf materials and constructions for VPI TTs.

I've been amazed at how much they can tune the tables.  For my Classic, the winning combo was brass feet and bloodwood shelf (lead shot dampened); for my Prime, it was Stillpoints Gen 1 feet, Symposium inserts and a granite shelf.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best shelf for my Aries 3.  I tried the Symposium inserts with Stillpoints Gen 1 and the bass was overblown an boomy.  I moved to Stillpoints SS and that improved things.  A granite shelf was great for the bass - super tight and low, but a bit harsh on the highs.  My trusty bloodwood shelf was better on the highs but had a bit too my bloom on the bass.

So what to try next?

I know that maple seem to be the shelf of choice for VPI owners.  But I figure if bloodwood had some overblown bass, I can't imagine that maple is that much different.

Here are the options I'm considering,

1. A sandwich of thin granite tiles/MDF/baltic birch/MDF/grantie tile - like the Symposium concept.
2. The opposite, with granite tile in the middle, not unlike the design of the table chasis.
3. Stealing a page from Harry's Classic plinth design, and going 1/2" aluminum, thin steel sheet, MDF, baltic birch.

Since granite was a bit too harsh and hardwood was a bit too soft, maybe aluminum is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
Re: VPI Shelf Goldielocks
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2016, 02:45 pm »
Syrah

In which direction are you trying to tune the Aries 3?
One thing I found that worked well for my HW-19 Mk IV was using a Black Diamond Racing "The Source" shelf.
That and using StillPoints Ultra Mini's for the feet and also as suspension under the stainless steel plinth.

Funny thing is now I use either a TTW Record clamp or Stillpoints Ultra LP records clamp depending on precision of the presentation I'm looking for when listening. Surprised me when I discovered this but it kind of cool. Use the TTW when I'm listening to classic rock and don't need the precision in the presentation.

Wish I could offer more information, those Aries 3 tables have always heald a place in my heart, especially the Black Knight version.  :drool:  My two dream table would be the HW-19 Mk IV in Rosewood and the Aries 3 Black Knight.
I'm going to go put on some Kenny Nolan now.....I Like Dreaming.  :nono:

Now try getting that song out of your head.  :lol: