B60 preamp vs BP6

R. Daneel

B60 preamp vs BP6
« on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:39 pm »
Hello!

Can someone tell me what would be the advantage of a BP6 over a B60 when using it as a preamp only?

Thanks!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: B60 preamp vs BP6
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:42 pm »
Hello!

Can someone tell me what would be the advantage of a BP6 over a B60 when using it as a preamp only?

Thanks!
Antun

Hi

No advantage.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:23 pm »
Hi

No advantage.

james

Hi James!

Wow, does that mean B60 integrated really has a superb preamp already built in? Good enough to control a "cubed" series amplifier?

Cheers!
Antun

OTM

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:40 pm »

Hi Antun
I am using my B60 as a pre amp with a 4Bsst2 and am happy so far
David

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:42 pm »
Hi James!

Wow, does that mean B60 integrated really has a superb preamp already built in? Good enough to control a "cubed" series amplifier?

Cheers!
Antun

Correct  - the B60 has the same preamp as the BP-6

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2016, 05:44 pm »
Hi Antun
I am using my B60 as a pre amp with a 4Bsst2 and am happy so far
David

Hi David!

Thank you for the reply!

Can you tell me how do you find the volume control on the B60? I wouldn't want to find it has too much gain not to be able to use the volume control the way it's supposed to be used - turned up.

Thanks!
Antun

OTM

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2016, 06:00 pm »
Hi Antun
Lots of range on the volume, amp set to 23db
David

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2016, 06:29 pm »
Gentlemen, this is excellent news!

My listening room is small so I don't require a lot of power or big speakers. In addition, my listening hanits are such that I listen to music in the evening and during the weekend so I rarely listen to it loudly.

So I was thinking that B60 might be everything that I need. If the situation changes at a later date, I could possibly use the B60 as a preamp and buy a separate power amplifier to drive bigger speakers.

I quite like the fact the B60 is a traditional design with discrete components and by looking at the photos online, I can only say it was built to last "for ever".

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2016, 06:34 pm »
James,

if it isn't too much trouble, could you please post a photo of the rear panel of the most recent version of the B60?

I would like to know which speaker terminals are being used on the current production run of the B60.

One other thing, I have read that B60 preamp stage was based on the BP20 standalone preamp. I assume BP20 is a balanced version of the BP6 and B60 preamp?

Cheers!
Antun

zoom25

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2016, 07:21 pm »
Can someone tell me where the pre-amp quality of BHA-1 falls in comparison to the rest of Bryston's pre-amps?

veloceleste

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2016, 08:23 pm »
Can someone tell me where the pre-amp quality of BHA-1 falls in comparison to the rest of Bryston's pre-amps?
Sonically, very, very close to a BP6. I have a BHA1 and a C series B60 which is uses the BP6 preamp. I didn't do an in depth comparison but when I did compare I quickly came to the conclusion they both were very good preamps. However, as is to be expected, the BHA's headphone sound is much better than the B60's headphone sound. I'm using them in two different room systems (the BHA serving as preamp and headphone amp in one) and at some point would like to reduce down to one room system and one headphone system.

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2016, 04:33 pm »
Hi David!

Can you please tell me if the B60 produces a "pop" when being turned on or off?

Also, can you tell me about the input rotatry selector. I've noticed that with the BHA-1 headphone amp there is signal bleed from one input to the other. So for example, if you have two sources plugged in and have the amp set to input 1, you can still hear the music from a source that plugged into input 2. It's a faint one obviously but I can hear it.

Cheers!
Antun

OTM

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2016, 04:58 pm »
Hi Antun
There are no pops on power up or down, I believe there are relays to prevent the pops.
 I have no bleed through using headphones or through the speakers on unused inputs

David

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2016, 05:25 pm »
Hi Antun
There are no pops on power up or down, I believe there are relays to prevent the pops.
 I have no bleed through using headphones or through the speakers on unused inputs

David

Thanks David! Much appeciated!

One last thing - with which speakers did you use the B60 and how powerful did you find it?

Cheers!
Antun

OTM

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2016, 05:42 pm »
Hi Antun

Our living /den and sitting room is our listening room - 12x30. Right now I am using Monitor Audio Silver have had them for maybe 8yrs. Was happy with sound from B60 but thought I would try more power so added the 4Bsst2. (I probably do not need the extra power for most of my listening).
Would like to demo compare some MiniTs sometime
Regards
David

R. Daneel

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2016, 05:53 pm »
Hi Antun

Our living /den and sitting room is our listening room - 12x30. Right now I am using Monitor Audio Silver have had them for maybe 8yrs. Was happy with sound from B60 but thought I would try more power so added the 4Bsst2. (I probably do not need the extra power for most of my listening).
Regards
David

Thank you very much Sir, you are most kind!

Did you notice an improvement with the 4BSST2 over the B60?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2016, 06:03 pm »
Hi Antun

Regards
David

Thank you very much Sir, you are most kind!

Did you notice an improvement with the 4BSST2 over the B60?

Cheers!
Antun

OTM

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2016, 08:49 pm »
At low  volume ie: where you could carry on a conversation I would say no particular difference.
However if you have music that has lots of dynamic range it is nice to have the extra power when you do decided to listen at higher levels.
David.

R. Daneel

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2016, 12:23 pm »
At low  volume ie: where you could carry on a conversation I would say no particular difference.
However if you have music that has lots of dynamic range it is nice to have the extra power when you do decided to listen at higher levels.
David.

Thanks David!

Much appreciated Sir!

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2016, 01:04 pm »
Hi James!

Could you please post a photo of the rear panel of a recent B60 version? Just trying to see which speaker terminals it is using - the transparent ones or the red/black ones.

Cheers!
Antun