Advice on a Video/Digital System!

Sonny

Advice on a Video/Digital System!
« on: 12 Nov 2016, 09:19 pm »
Hi All,

I'd thought I would never do this, but I have been interested in watching old youtube or other videos of live performances and wanted to incorporate it into my Audio System.  Here's what I was thinking to add to my 2 Channel system:

- Affordable decent projector to be mounted from the ceiling
- Drop down screen, also mounted from the ceiling
- A media player to stream / play music and videos from including from HD (external)
- I have a Marantz SA11S3 as a player and dac, so don't know if I need a separate dac?

What else do I need?  I am currently using an old (3+) Asus for playing music using JRiver

I would like to keep this under $2k if possible! 

Please keep this a simple set up!

thanks for any advice and suggestions. 

Tuan

WGH

Re: Advice on a Video/Digital System!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2016, 11:13 pm »
What else you need depends on what you want to do.

Cheapest - cost of 2 cables + projector
If all you want to do is watch youtube videos then you will be relying on the Asus sound and video chip. Does the Asus have an HDMI port to get video to the projector? Analog out (headphone jack) will get the audio to your pre-amp/receiver. Will the Asus push enough pixels to make a decent picture on a large screen?

Better
Plug the HDMI from the Asus into an Outlaw 975 ($549) for better sound and video. Use the Asus DVD player to play live DVD concerts, movies, etc.

No HDMI output in the Asus?
Add a $60 Samsung DVD Blu-ray player from Walmart for concert disks.

Best

Oppo BDP-103 for $499 + Outlaw 975
The Oppo 105D is actually better, it costs more but one less box so it is simpler too.

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2016, 11:39 pm »
What else you need depends on what you want to do.

Cheapest - cost of 2 cables + projector
If all you want to do is watch youtube videos then you will be relying on the Asus sound and video chip. Does the Asus have an HDMI port to get video to the projector? Analog out (headphone jack) will get the audio to your pre-amp/receiver. Will the Asus push enough pixels to make a decent picture on a large screen?

Better
Plug the HDMI from the Asus into an Outlaw 975 ($549) for better sound and video. Use the Asus DVD player to play live DVD concerts, movies, etc.

No HDMI output in the Asus?
Add a $60 Samsung DVD Blu-ray player from Walmart for concert disks.

Best

Oppo BDP-103 for $499 + Outlaw 975
The Oppo 105D is actually better, it costs more but one less box so it is simpler too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the Asus has HDMI and yes, currently the ASUS is running JRiver and pushing sound to the Marantz Dac, etc.  If the Asus can function via the HDMI to the projector and all being unchanged, that may just work, right?

If so, what's a good, small and affordable projector and screen?

Tuan

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2016, 11:56 pm »
Projector : epson 3000 : $900
https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-3000-Projector/dp/B00NJTXWOA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1478994445&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Epson+3000

Universal projector mount : about $100

Screen : elite $110
https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Manual-100-inch-Projection/dp/B000ZKIOP8?th=1

Source : oppo 103 : $600

$1710 total + long hdmi ($50 maybe from monoprice).

Balance of $ can help pay for installation of clock receptacle at projector and mounting of projector and screen. Realistically this may cost more like $500.

Hope that helps.

If you can spend more, epson 3600e is worth it as it's wireless.

Pull down screen are ok, but they almost always have wave in material which gets distracting / annoying with panning shots. A tensioned screen is much better but more expensive. Fixed screens are best bang for buck.

Ch

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2016, 01:48 am »
If the Asus can function via the HDMI to the projector and all being unchanged, that may just work, right?

Right! Get the free VideoLan (VLC) media player and you are all set....almost.
The sticking point is video+sound. Yes you can use HDMI to the projector for 1080 resolution but what about sound? You absolutely don't want to use the Asus audio out for CD quality sound.
Since HDMI has both sound and video the usual thing to do is plug the HDMI into a receiver or the Outlaw 975. The hi-res sound is then sent to your pre-amp and the best picture is sent to the projector.

You will eventually end up with an Oppo 103 (actually sooner than later) for video and use the laptop for Youtube and downloads.
The Oppo does have 2 HDMI inputs, one in the front panel and one in the back so it can be used to switch sources like the Outlaw 975 if you have only 2. I have 3 HDMI sources so the Outlaw 975 is needed for my setup, and it sounds great.

Odal3

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2016, 02:58 am »
If the plan is to only stream youtube videos, etc. I would definitely start with the  DAC your currently own - especially if you already like how it sounds. If you later on want to add the ability for multi channel etc. you can upgrade that later. Same goes for the Asus. If it is good enough for your music via JRIVER, it will be good enough for youtube, etc. Old live performances uploaded on Youtube is normally of lower quality (but I still enjoy watching and listening to them anyway) so there is really no need get the latest media player. When you're ready to upgrade your digital source, I would make it a priority to get the 2 channel right with the extra bonus it can also do video.

Another decent budget alternative to the Asus is the FireTV which is a  cheap easy to use media player that comes with a remote. The older generation has an optical out that you can connect to your Marantz. The new version does not have optical. I only have a FireStick so can't comment how good they sound, etc., but you can get a certified refurbished one for $50.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU15MU4/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_ODSADWF_cdl_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=7H1TCT4CJW3R3VSZSB2W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=6d9d14fa-bdca-4c1a-89d6-a2e57138de55&pf_rd_i=8497978011

The one thing to consider with projectors is that they have a fan that could be annoying. I have a BENQ 1075 which is an excellent budget level projector with great picture quality (at least for my needs), but as many other in this price class the fan is rather loud. If you set the volume to medium to loud you will not hear it, but if you like music/movies with a lot of "silent" passages this is something you need to be aware of. Per the spec, the audible noise for the BENQ1075 is 31db and I would guess the Epson 3000 mentioned earlier has similar spec. If you are in the US, I expect that there will be many projectors on sale during black Friday. I picked my projector up for about $500 on sale (Note that they have newer versions that have very similar specs: Benq HT2050, Benq HT3050).

Sonny

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2016, 05:02 am »
Very true about the fan Odal3, but the sound from these you tube or old videos are mediocre at best.  I have the old JAZZ series and while it's great to see some of the best ever artist in live performances, it's the ability to see and hear them that matters most.

I think the Asus could handle the streaming and you tube, etc...and using JRiver as a player through USB output to the Marantz should be Okay, right?

Never really wanted MC output, not even for HT, not worth all the work!  I think an old Oppo would be nice, but can it do you tube etc.?  I think it can, correct? 

I guess HDMI out either from the Asus or a player would work.  Straight to the projector. 

Yes, the screen is an issue....I have a window behind the system and though it isn't ideal, I do like the light that comes in when I raise up the honeycomb blinds....that's why I was thinking a drop down screen, but I can see the issues with that.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links!  I will keep you all posted as to what it will come down too!

Thank you again!

Odal3

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2016, 02:26 pm »
Never used Jriver so not sure how it works with youtube. You can play it through the website directly as well.

Good luck!