Definitive Technology Mythos 1

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
Definitive Technology Mythos 1
« on: 9 Nov 2016, 08:39 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am looking at the Mythos 1 speakers for home theater and music listening. I have large built-in subs so bass response not the biggest concern. I listen to mostly modern rock/ alternative with a splash of soft rock and dance music. I like their 92db efficiency as I like it louder than most when listening :drums: :guitar: :rock:. I have a pair of NHT T6 towers that they would be replacing, those were 87db efficiency and played pretty well. I have good room acoustic treatments and a DAC Cherry amp, so lots of power.

Does anyone have experience with these or maybe 1 of the other Mythos series speakers and what you thought.

Folsom

Re: Definitive Technology Mythos 1
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2016, 08:44 pm »
I think you'll find better offerings from nearly every manufacturer of speakers on this forum.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2016, 09:46 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am looking at the Mythos 1 speakers for home theater and music listening. I have large built-in subs so bass response not the biggest concern. I listen to mostly modern rock/ alternative with a splash of soft rock and dance music. I like their 92db efficiency as I like it louder than most when listening :drums: :guitar: :rock:. I have a pair of NHT T6 towers that they would be replacing, those were 87db efficiency and played pretty well. I have good room acoustic treatments and a DAC Cherry amp, so lots of power.

Does anyone have experience with these or maybe 1 of the other Mythos series speakers and what you thought.
This Circle is for speakers review only:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45439.0

zapper7

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm »
So where would I go.....

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2016, 10:56 pm »
Hopefully a mod will move it.

If you have 100w per channel or more, there's no need to really concentrate on high efficiency.

Take a look at Salk's offerings. Within your price range they have one of the most award speakers ever.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2016, 11:25 pm »
I have no profile to move in this Circle.
Lets wait a admin or BRJ.

zapper7

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2016, 11:55 pm »
Thanks for the move, would not have guessed here at Enclosures though.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2016, 01:38 am »
Old model, now out of production, mid-fi sound quality.

Why looking at a speaker capable of 20 Hz frequency response if you have subs?

Do you know how loud you listen?  I agree that higher efficiency (in the 92 - 96 dB/w/m range) is ideal, but with Cherry amp it shouldn't be necessary (200 watts in a typical room with 94 dB/w/m speakers would generate about 115 dB - very loud). 

Personally I don't like MTM design, because to avoid the midrange drivers cancelling each other out you have to be exactly equal distance from both (and these speakers center the midrange drivers higher than typical listening ear height.  Note that this effect is more pronounced if listening close to the speakers.

zapper7

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2016, 03:55 pm »
It has been stated they don't get to 20hz by several reviewers/ owners, and the seller.

Yes, I agree the higher efficiency speakers would be better, I had a pair of Silverline Sonatas (93db) years ago that would fit me needs now and sounded great, something like that I suppose is what I'm after again. I had a different room/setup back than, don't know what you got...

I don't listen close to the speakers, I am about 13' away with 5' or so behind me, speakers 5' out in the room.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2016, 04:58 pm »
I have been into the Definitive Mythos once. A customer had me do an upgrade on them a few years ago. So I have a full set of measurements on them and pictures of the insides.

They were designed pretty well and had reasonable response curves on an off axis. And they looked nice. The powered woofers also gave some flexibility to controlling the bass response.

But they had zero damping behind the woofers and that had an effect that showed up in the spectral decay. Also, the crossover parts quality was pretty much what you would expect from a more mass marketed speaker designed to hit a price point. So they really benefited from some upgrades.

I'll refrain from offering any advice. It looks like you got some good advice already.

smargo

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2016, 08:09 pm »
Old model, now out of production, mid-fi sound quality.

thats ridiculous that they are mid fi - i have had the mythos st - towers  with built in 300 watt sub for about 5 years

they are very open and image beautifully and throw a large soundstage - the bass definition ill give a b+ grade - they sound wonderful - dont let anyone discourage you from getting these

zapper7

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2016, 08:14 pm »
I would be getting them for a pretty good deal, obviously used, but pics show well taken care of.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2016, 09:09 pm »
thats ridiculous that they are mid fi - i have had the mythos st - towers  with built in 300 watt sub for about 5 years

they are very open and image beautifully and throw a large soundstage - the bass definition ill give a b+ grade - they sound wonderful - dont let anyone discourage you from getting these
I think JLM was referring to a hi end music point of view,
since this speaker is a home theater product his performance is modeled to action movies.
Definitive Technology Mythos Speaker System
Mythos One
Dimensions: 6"W x 6"D x 48.5"H
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 30kHz
Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 20 - 250 watts/channel
MSRP: $899/each

zapper7

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2016, 10:12 pm »
I see, OK so good home theater maybe not so much with music then

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2016, 10:46 pm »
I was trying to look up some info on this speaker and checked several sites. The frequency specs look impressive, then I noticed no + or - in them.

Is Def Tech one of those companies?

Sorry. I think listing Frequency Response with no info on how accurate the FR is are pretty useless, and more likely than not very misleading. The sign of a speaker that does not do 2 channel very well.

zapper7

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2016, 11:44 pm »
I am used to Def Tech being over the top with their specs, I don't need crazy bass just something decent to 35-40 hz or so.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2016, 12:20 am »
I am used to Def Tech being over the top with their specs, I don't need crazy bass just something decent to 35-40 hz or so.
Ouch...a full size double bass range is 40-235Hz, the deepest E key in a piano is 41Hz.
35-40Hz is a lot of deep bass in musical terms, most 4 strings basses cant reach it without eq, most of a 4 strings Fender energy are located around 70Hz w/o heavy eq.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2016, 01:13 am »
Songbirds -3db is 38hz.

You're asking a lot on tight budget for low end performance. You may be sacrificing a lot in the upper registered just to reach low. For example Spatial M4's won't reach -3db into the 30hz, but they're good speakers in your area and can rock. They however require some space.

smargo

« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2016, 05:13 am »

you know  what - these speakers are very easy to listen to - the bass is satisfying - (if not quite real deep).

The high end on the speakers  is very easy on the ears. vocals are just right -(if not quite real luscious)

there really isnt a nasty fault with these speakers.

Oh and i forgot to mention that i only listen to the speakers with music!!

zapper7

« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2016, 02:42 pm »
Smargo I appreciate the feedback, I listened to them 8+ years ago at a show and thought they were nice, but that was a while ago. I would be getting them real cheap so who knows. I like that you listen to music, what are you driving them with?

Folsom & FRM, you are right, looking at my subs they are crossed over at 110hz. I haven't heard the Spatials but had a pair of Emerald Physics that I didn't like very much. Can you draw a comparison there?