McCormack upgrades: Smc Audio or Conrad Johnson?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
McCormack upgrades: Smc Audio or Conrad Johnson?
« on: 6 Nov 2016, 04:16 am »
I'm about to take delivery of a McCormack MAP-1 preamplifier.   It seems like part upgrades are available from both Smc and Conrad Johnson.   Anybody have any mods done to their McCormack gear, by either of these companies?  ANy substantive difference in the quality of upgrade/workmanship/final "sound" outcome between the 2?    Thanks for anyone with experience in this - Greg

Panelhead

Re: McCormack upgrades: Smc Audio or Conrad Johnson?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2016, 03:17 pm »
  I would go with the Conread Johnson upgrades.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2016, 04:08 pm »
  I would go with the Conread Johnson upgrades.

Can you expanded at all?   It's kind of a weird situation I guess -  Steve McCormack designed it,  but CJ made it (?).   Both parties seem justified in saying,  "we know the unit, our upgrade path is the better one." 

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2016, 04:58 pm »
I would go with Steve McCormack. The guy is still innovating, and knows the gear. Both probably do quality work.

saygrr

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2016, 12:04 am »
The McCormack DNA-1 amps I have had for about 13 years now. SMC mono blocked them and did there Platinum + level upgrade to them on 2 separate visits. I bought a used McCormack MLD about 5 years ago. SMC did a Platinum + mod to it. I was not happy with the 3 line stages I had previously. One being a YBA, two being Audio Research. That little MLD shocked me. I could not believe how good it was. So I bought a used TLC. SMC did a Signature upgrade to it. Again I was very surprised by the improvement. SMC does not just do parts upgrade. It is more involved than that. I'm sending the Mono Blocks in, in June for the for the Platinum Special LTD Edition upgrade.

I have been very happy for the past 13 years with what SMC has done for me. Give Steve a call. I must also add. One of the ARC line stages I had was tube. The TLC Signature is considerably better in the mid-range tonally and dynamically. Even though McCormack is transistor it does not sound like typical transistor gear.

You will find more post about SMC and McCormack on audio circle if you search for them.

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2016, 04:13 pm »
I have no experience with CJ, but I do with McCormack. I have a DNA 1 amp Gold + mod and it is excellent. Steve and his assistant Kris do upgrades according to your budget and plan ahead as well if you had a limited budget now and wanted to pursue more upgrades in the future. Highly recommended