Using headphones w/ vinyl

jasinviso

« on: 18 Nov 2004, 12:51 am »
Hello,

Firstly, I am way new to anything analouge, most of my experience has been with hometheater.  I am interested in how to go about using headphones(namely etymotic er-4p) with a turntable set up.  Now the question is if I get a headphone amp w/ a volumbe control would I still need to get a phono stage or pre-amp???  Any advise would be terrific, also recommendations.  Looking to spend no more than $1000 on turntable, headphone amp and phono stage.  Thanks.

Jim

Scott F.

Re: Using headphones w/ vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2004, 04:15 am »
Quote from: jasinviso
Hello,

Firstly, I am way new to anything analouge, most of my experience has been with hometheater.  I am interested in how to go about using headphones(namely etymotic er-4p) with a turntable set up.  Now the question is if I get a headphone amp w/ a volumbe control would I still need to get a phono stage or pre-amp???  Any advise would be terrific, also recommendations.  Looking to spend no more than $1000 on turntable, headphone amp and phono stage.  Thanks.

Jim

Hiya Jim,

I think I'd look towards this possibility:

Headroom Total Airhead - $199 (US)
http://www.headphone.com

Graham Amp 2 - $125 (GBP)
Upgraded Power Supply for the Slee - (about) $25 (GBP)
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/gram_amp_2_phono_preamplifier_st.htm

Music Hall MMF-5 - $599 (US)
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.351/.f
or the

Project Xpression - $429 and a decent Goldring cart
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.352/.f

That should just about get you where you are looking to be.

I've got a fair amount of experience with the Airhead, I had one for a few months and used it constantly. Really good sound for the money. I own the GrahamAmp 2. I doubt seriously you will find a better phonostage for the money. I've heard the MMF-5 on several occasions. Really nice sound for not much money. Very nice entry table. Same (should) go for the Project. This one is the new upgrade from the Debut which was also a competative sounding table to the MMF-5.

No doubt some of the other guys will have some more impressions. I'd bet there is 6-8-10 combos you could put together for that money. Even more if you are willing to buy 'used'.

Should be a fun little system. Hope that helps.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2004, 03:05 pm »
While the MMF is a good entry place, it limits the upgradeability and IMHO its major drawback is with its arm, I hated the arm.  The Rega RB250 or RB300 arm is the way to go for budget arm IMO.

I think Scott gave you really good recommendations and I'll add that if the budget could be stretched a bit and it was my money I would seriously look at the BIX turntable.

BIX

Its about $719 w/ Rega RB250 arm + $125 shipping (ouch!).
It might be worth it though.  It would certainly give you a really nice base to work with and cartridge upgrades would be way up without having to redo the whole shibang to move up.  

One thing I noticed with vinyl and headphones was that the background noise was even more noticeable so a good setup that doesn't overemphasize the pops and clicks would be desireable to me.  I think this is mostly determined by the cart and the phono.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2004, 11:29 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
While the MMF is a good entry place, it limits the upgradeability and IMHO its major drawback is with its arm, I hated the arm.  The Rega RB250 or RB300 arm is the way to go for budget arm IMO.

I agree completely.

I almost mentioned a Rega P3 but when you add in a decent cart that eats up all the budget. If you were to go for something used at ePay, you could definately do a Rega, Systemdek, Ariston, Project, maybe even a Bix. Used really opens your options up to some nice sounding tables.

jasinviso

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2004, 12:02 am »
Great replies, really helpful.  I am not at all opposed to buying used, I actually sold an item on audiogon, so I have some feedback there.  So, it sounds like SS amp is the way to go, if I go used should I go the tube route or stick with the total airhead???

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2004, 01:30 am »
Have you tried tubes before and did you really really like them?  If your objective is to be accurate and not superficially euphonic then SS will get you there much much cheaper, and where your budget is concerned I think you are likely better off with SS done well then tubes done so-so. Plus tubes can raise much more issues in noise floor which particularly matter with vinyl and headphone (not to mention the combination thereof).

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2004, 02:10 am »
Quote from: JoshK
...... to be accurate and not superficially euphonic then.......

Oh horse-hockey  :lol:

Not to say that tubes can't get that way, because they can, but a good tube design with proper speaker (or headphone) and source integration sounds extremely detailed, accurate and lifelike. Trouble is a good tube design on a headphone amp gets pretty costly really quick.

Josh, I do agree. Since Jim has a limited budget, SS is definately the way to go. Cheap tubes sound like cheap tubes. They aren't very defined and do have noise issues. Unless you are prepared to spend some serious bucks on a quality tubed headphone amp, definately stick to a good opamp design (like the Airhead). They make music pretty darned well for not much money.

You had to know you were get a response outta me on that one :mrgreen:

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2004, 04:10 am »
I am not definitively against tubes for the record.  I have owned a few tube preamp, a big tube amp and tube headphone amp.  I have also built a tube preamp now.  I have also owned SS gear and digital (switching)gear.  It is hard to get tubes to do what they do well without the superlifous crap without spending big bucks was my point.

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2004, 08:05 am »
Has anyone ever heard this Bix?  Three guys opinions on an internet website is sort of underwhelming.  It looks more expensive than it costs, but I never judge TT performance on weight/looks/features alone.  One of the best TT's I've ever heard was a Rega P9, which is at most 20 lbs, but sure rips out tunes better than any other TT I've ever heard.

Michael