Whos' going to LAOC mtg 11/21 Sunday?

Jon L

« on: 18 Nov 2004, 12:10 am »
at the Manley Labs in Chino?  They're giving away their Shrimp preamp, and I figure one can only be unlucky so many times in a row with these raffles :)

John Casler

Re: Whos' going to LAOC mtg 11/21 Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2004, 03:07 am »
Quote from: Jon L
at the Manley Labs in Chino?  They're giving away their Shrimp preamp, and I figure one can only be unlucky so many times in a row with these raffles :)

I know Mad DOg and I will be there, maybe if we don't tell anyone the raffle chances will be in our favor :lol:

rlcordeiro

raffle
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2004, 04:48 am »
I am even unluckier thanyou John, but I'll be there all the same. Anyway I'm not interested in the shrimp. I want one of the big ones to biamp the top over my 4b-sst on the bottom. Or maybe use it for the RM-40s and use the 4B-SSt for a pair of largers. Well I can only dream about this for now.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2004, 05:33 pm »
I'll be there.  I've been looking forward to this one.  I like Shrimp!

Russ

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2004, 11:56 pm »
Does anyone else find the term "Manley Shrimp" a little "strange"???

Shades of "Jumbo Shrimp" :roll:

Does that mean if all your equipment is Manley, that your a "Manley Man", as opposed to a "Girley Mon"??

Maybe it is just me.  How do you stop your mind from going to these places?

shokunin

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2004, 01:13 am »
What time is the LAOC meeting?  I may have some time on Sunday.

Then again, maybe I should start tweaking the X's?    :mrgreen:

jswallac

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2004, 01:17 am »
John,  I believe the Manley Shrimp are trucked to locations by semi-truck drivers.  I suppose we could continue with the George Carlin jokes, but that only serves to show our age.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2004, 01:36 am »
Quote from: jswallac
John,  I believe the Manley Shrimp are trucked to locations by semi-truck drivers.  I suppose we could continue with the George Carlin jokes, but that only serves to show our age.

Lucky you could at least remember George's name :mrgreen:

I couldn't pull it out of the file (grey matter)

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2004, 01:53 am »
Quote from: shokunin

Man, that's like leaving a "Trophy Wife" home on Saturday night :shake:

But we look forward to seeing you.

Here is the info:

Dear Members,

***Manley Laboratories THIS Sunday!!!!***

13880 Magnolia Ave., Chino, CA.  91710   Tel: 909-627-4256
www.manleylabs.com
President: EveAnna Manley

Sunday, November 21, 2004    2-5:30pm    Amazing Manley Shrimp Preamp Raffle!!!    Lunch Served, too. Please be on time!

Meeting and Grand Tour of Manley Laboratories.  PLUS,  EveAnna Manley, President, will personally conduct!!

We will raffle off a brand new $2000 Manley Shrimp Vacuum Tube Preamp right after the grand tour!!!   Take it home right after the meeting! The Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society and Manley Laboratories ROCK Bigtime!  You have got to be there for this final manufacturer event of 2004!     New Members and Guests Most Welcome!!!

Directions: Get on the 91 East.  Take the SR71 exit - it's also called the Chino Freeway.   At about 4 miles, take the exit for SR-83/Euclid Avenue.   In about 4½ miles, turn left on Edison Avenue.   Go 1¼ miles, and turn right on Magnolia Avenue.   Manley Labs is in one of several industrial parks along Magnolia; it’s about .3 mile on the left side, and a little bit back from the road.   It’s well-labeled.

See you this Sunday and please drive carefully!

Bob Levi

President

Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society

www.laocaudiosociety.com for all future events through 2005!

America's Premier Audio Society

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2004, 03:18 am »
Quote from: shokunin

Are you JOKING me??  Stay home, Shokunin.  You know you need to put in many hours to tune the X's.  

Did you say you were getting DeHavilland amps to power them?  Dunno if even the GM series could power the X's properly ?!

shokunin

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2004, 05:55 am »
Quote from: Jon L

Are you JOKING me??  Stay home, Shokunin.  You know you need to put in many hours to tune the X's.  

Did you say you were getting DeHavilland amps to power them?  Dunno if even the GM series could power the X's properly ?!

Hey  Jon,

The Dehavilland 845g's arrive tomorrow, they'll be used to power the neo panels and the tweeter (166hz on up) and I'll  get a SS (Ampzilla 2K monos) amp on the bottom to power the current-hungry 12" and 10" woofers.  My Pass amp is about to be packed and shipped so I'll use the Dehav's full range and see how they perform.  I can augment with my Theta Dreadnaught if necessary but I don't have any attenuators right now to level match the two amps.   Once I settle in on the amps, I'll build a pair of specific-db attenuators to help level the two amps.

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2004, 10:20 pm »
Ah, you are going with "best of both worlds" biamp approach, just like me.  

Coincidentally, I'm using my VAC 30 watt (like 845G) tube amp for top (140 Hz) and SS amp below that.  I use an active x-over, though.  

It also so happens my speakers are rated at 95dB sensitive as opposed to 94dB for RMX Neo panels.  

166 Hz is probably low enough to avoid a lot of problems matching top and bottom amps' sound character, but I still expect you will spend some weeks finding the right combo of interconnects, power cords, speaker cables, footers to blend the two amps's sound character.  Been there, done that, got electrocuted, etc...

So when can we come listen to your setup?  Where in OC are you?

shokunin

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2004, 11:32 pm »
Hey Jon,

I'm in Irvine, I forget, are you also in OC?  Once I get some new cables (ic's and speaker cables), I'll be able to host something.    The dehavillands can power the RM/x to pretty good volume with its 36watts.  Not the utmost it bass dynamics but pretty darn nice for a SET amp.

there's a LOT of tweaking to do still...

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2004, 02:25 am »
Hey, I'm in Fullerton.  

I'm just back from LAOC meeting and am roud to report that our very own Rustafarian was the lucky winner of the brand new Manley Shrimp preamplifier!  Congrats, Rus.  Just remember my $25 in raffle tickets when you enjoy your tunes tonight  :beer:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2004, 07:12 pm »
I am still flying higher than a kite after winning that preamp yesterday.  Took it home, hooked it up and listened past midnight!  I wish I had more time to comment.  Too pumped, too tired, too swamped at work.

I will say THANKS EVEANNE MANLEY for your hospitality and generosity.
And THANKS BOB LEVI and the LA/OC AUDIO SOCIETY for putting together some great meetings this year.

Once the Shrimp is settled in, I'll invite any interested LA/OC ACers over for a shrimp-tasting party.  We can listen and eat.  Think Forrest Gump's army buddy: "fried shrimp, grilled shrimp, shrimp cocktail...".

Mad DOg

What a great time!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2004, 08:08 pm »
I just wanted to give EveAnna Manley a special call out for being a wonderfully gracious host for having us over at her factory yesterday. It was just too cool to see how Manley products are all handmade right here in the good ol' US of A by Americans...

This meeting goes down as another one of the best meetings of 2004!

Thank you, EveAnna Manley!  8)

shokunin

« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2004, 08:31 pm »
COngrats Russ!!  I've not heard the Shrimp, but if it's anything like my phonostage, I imagine it'll be just as awesome.  Wish I could have seen the factory, did EveAnna mention anything about the Skipjack?

John Casler

Re: What a great time!
« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2004, 08:39 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
I just wanted to give EveAnna Manley a special call out for being a wonderfully gracious host for having us over at her factory yesterday. It was just too cool to see how Manley products are all handmade right here in the good ol' US of A by Americans...

This meeting goes down as another one of the best meetings of 2004!

Thank you, EveAnna Manley!  8)

Not to mention that she gave everyone there a Manley T-SHirt and Coffee Mug.

And she is big on her Slogan "TUBES Rule" :mrgreen:

Congratulations Russ, it was a great win.