Best way to use a cabinet dampening material?

Arctos

« on: 3 Mar 2003, 02:56 am »
Greetings,
I'm not quite sure how to ask this, but here goes:

What is the best way to use dampening material (polyester/teased wool fiber/fiberglas/etc) in a speaker cabinet?  I have heard of attaching it to a fishing line webbing or actually glueing it to the cabinet sides, but neither of these sounds like a great tactic to me.

Any help would be appreciated,

RDS

PS:  details help, as I am a beginner!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2003, 05:11 pm »
Arctos,

Good, timely post for me, too!  I'm wrestling with that same question...I bought some Acousta-Stuff from parts Express yesterday for the speaker I am currently rebuilding.  

I gave no thought to how to attach the stuffing/dampening material, I figured I'd just wad it in there and see if it sounds better than the stuff poly stuff it came with.

I'd like to hear what the more experienced speaker builders on this forum have to say about the subject, tho.   :|

Arctos

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2003, 12:47 am »
ChairGuy,
I think your idea of just stuffing it into the cabinet is fine as long as it is a smaller, bookshelf-style speaker.  My problem is that I am building some relatively large floor standing speakers and I don't want the stuffing all in the bottom.  My understanding is that you want it somewhat evenly distributed throughout the cabinet.  I guess I could use staples or glue and attach it to a brace that is located in the mid-section of my speakers, but I want to keep the cabinets as free of "undesireable material" as I possibly can.

I hope we get a few replies to this from experienced folks!!

Regards,

RDS

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2003, 12:51 am »
Double sided velcro strips should do what you want.  You can pick them up cheap in just about any fabric store.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2003, 06:31 am »
Yup, Arctos, you're right.  I am tinkering with a (reasonably large, but still) bookshelf model and my 'stuffing' method may work for me, not you, it seems.  

Good luck with that baby....