Head scractcher!!!

Charles Calkins

Head scractcher!!!
« on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:16 am »

Hi Guys:
      To me this is a real head scractcher!!!
       For years I've been using a Logitech SB3 as my music server. I bought a Cambridge stream magic 6 over a year ago and  now
       I use it for a music streamer. It reads my music files on my PC and plays them back through my audio system. Sounds pretty good.
       The Cambridge also searches for radio stations. My favorite is smooth jazz 101.  When I used the Logitech SB3 to do the same
        the PC had to be on. BUT!! not the Cambridge. I can turn the PC off and smooth jazz 101 keeps on a playing.
        To me this is a real head SCRACTCHER!!!

Cheers
                                                                Charlie

srb

Re: Head scractcher!!!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:37 am »
The Stream Magic plays files from the network, in this case, your PC.  But the software needed to play Internet radio is internal to your network-connected (and Internet-connected) Stream Magic, so no PC is needed.

I assume you had Logitech Media Server software installed on your PC, so the PC had to be on for Internet radio.  If you had LMS installed on your SB3 you probably could have streamed internet radio without your PC on as well, but few people ran it that way because the limited memory and processing power of the SB3 made running LMS directly on it quite slow.

Steve