X-KINNY 1 with a coat

sch

X-KINNY 1 with a coat
« on: 4 Oct 2016, 02:02 pm »
Hello,
This is our "organic" version. The certified wood is from a palm called "chonta" used to manufacture a lot of items, ranging from weapons of indian tribes ( many years ago) to musical instruments like a "marimba", REALLY hard and difficult to work with. The idea here was to give this pair an "ethnic" look. Some photos of the wood and the process:
Weapons made out of Chonta:

Marimba:

Raw MDF + wood:

In process...

Finished:

sch

Re: X-KINNY 1 with a coat
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2016, 02:08 pm »
Some more...

DeeJayBump

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2016, 04:41 pm »
Santiago-

Beautiful work and speakers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:09 pm »
Dang, you guys are really good.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:16 pm »
Very nice. That wood is beautiful. I like the lines too.

It looks like you are gluing the wood to the cabinets, taping off/covering the wood, painting the cabinets then applying finish to the entire speaker. Is that the process?

Mike

sch

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:18 pm »
Thanks,guys, they have been under "workout" for the last 10 hours and making honor to their "giant killers" nickname. :thumb:
And yes, that is the basic procedure, Mike.

Love the sound.
Santiago

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2016, 07:25 pm »
 :thumb:

rockdrummer

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2016, 09:05 pm »
Possibly my favorite finish i have seen on this circle!  What really works for me is the whole setting/backdrop where the speakers live. Love it.
Ben

sch

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2016, 10:42 am »
Possibly my favorite finish i have seen on this circle!  What really works for me is the whole setting/backdrop where the speakers live. Love it.
Ben
Thanks Ben for your kind words. For us, every speaker nowadays has its own "tale" depending on the wood we use. We are blessed to live surrounded by exotic woods.
Santiago

cody69

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2016, 10:43 am »
Nicely done. The applied wood sides add nice contrast to the speaker body and add a nice 3D appeal.

sch

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2016, 10:48 am »
Nicely done. The applied wood sides add nice contrast to the speaker body and add a nice 3D appeal.
Thanks,actually  I haven't been able to listen to them without the wood sides but I guess that the wood helps to "kill" any possible resonance coming from the inside. I've also read (and this is probably a matter of discussion) that every wood has its own "sound". Just for fun I've intendedly use in the X-Kinny 6 and in this one, woods used around here to manufacture musical instruments.
Santiago

Odal3

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:51 am »
Really nice with the organic style and it fits perfectly with the world map in the background!  :thumb:

The 2GO version is just as nice