Thoughts on affordable HT Processor

mcgsxr

« on: 15 Nov 2004, 12:43 am »
I presently use an older B&K Pro Logic Pre/Pro, with my pair of Teac digital amps, for HT and 2 channel use.

I would like to step a little closer to current technology, in terms of HT processing, and would like to ask for your help!

Let's pick a budget of USD$500, and let me say that I think I would be willing to use an HT receiver, so long as it has pre outs for all channels.

So, the question is, what would you recommend?
Would you caution against using a modern 6.1/7.1 mass market receiver as a pre/pro for HT?  Yamaha etc?

Thanks,

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2004, 01:46 am »
You'd have to go with an HT receiver for that price.  You'd be hard pressed to even find a prepro used for $500, and then probably nothing more current than you've already got.  Frankly, even a receiver for that amount might be tricky if you need preouts for all channels.  I'd guess maybe something by Pioneer might fill the bill, but I'd have to do a little checking around.

shokunin

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2004, 02:20 am »
As rob mentioned, something along the lines of a used pioneer elite VSX-45tx for around $600 might fit the bill or the new and upcoming prepro from AV123 and their Emo Utra Light for $699

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5479

It's not quite $500, but an extra bill or two will get you a lot more performance for the $$.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Thoughts on affordable HT Processor
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2004, 03:34 am »
Quote from: mcgsxr
I presently use an older B&K Pro Logic Pre/Pro, with my pair of Teac digital amps, for HT and 2 channel use.

I would like to step a little closer to current technology, in terms of HT processing, and would like to ask for your help!

Let's pick a budget of USD$500, and let me say that I think I would be willing to use an HT receiver, so long as it has pre outs for all channels.

So, the question is, what would you recommend?
Would you caution against using a modern 6.1/7.1 mass market receiver as a pre/pro for HT?  Yamaha etc?

Thanks,

You could almost buy my Outlaw 950 pre/pro.   :lol:

If you wait a bit, you might start to see used Denon 3805's on Audiogon or Ebay.  I would probably go that route if you need the latest and greatest.

George

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2004, 05:10 am »
You could pick up a new Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K for $499.

That'd fit the bill perfectly. And the MCACC auto-calibration & EQ work great.

There's a couple of Elites you could probably get used as well in that price range, though they wouldn't have the features of the 1014.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2004, 02:24 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen - that Emotiva piece really does look nice.  The Outlaw is a really good item also, but I don't recall if it does DPL II?

I guess I am up in the air about how and IF to combine a 2 channel and HT system.

I could use a JVC hybrid digital for the HT, and maintain a separate 2 channel system with the Teac amp, but would have to change speaker cables when I wanted to do HT.  Not a huge PITA I admit, but perhaps not the best way to do it either.

I have seen some used HT receivers from HK, Yamaha, and Denon in my price range, and thought that they might be a good way to do this also.

I guess, in the end, I should make up my mind about how effective the 30wpc Teac would be for HT, and then get on with it!   :oops:

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2004, 03:28 pm »
Most new receivers in the $500 range will have pre-outs for all channels. Pioneer has already been mentioned and you should also look at Yamaha (RX-V750), Pioneer (AVR-1804), Onkyo (TS-XR602) and Sherwood-Newcastle (R-765), to name a few.

If you are willing to consider used, the list of qualty receivers in your price range expands considerably.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2004, 03:53 pm »
I should have been specific, I am almost ONLY considering used - I know that my budget is modest, and I have reaped the benefits of buying used in the past.  I have yet to be horribly stung doing so, so I am looking for suggested used HT Receivers, ASSUMING that their ability to process is adequate.

Thanks for getting me on track.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2004, 09:54 pm »
In that case, I'd suggest you look for a Denon 2803.  You should be able to find one for well under $500.  It should give you plenty of component inputs, S-vid, lots of digital inputs, plus 95% of the features you can name (the '03 was only very recently replaced so it's still pretty current).  It does have preouts for all channels.

I lifted this from the discontinued products archive on the Denon website:

AVR-2803

7.1 A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 • Dolby Digital Surround EX, Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • DTS ES 96/24 5.1 decoding for DVD Video  • Analog Devices Melody 100, 32 bit floating point DSP processor • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 90 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) • 125 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD) • 16 Analog Devices 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels, in differential configuration • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver • Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover (40/60/80/100/120Hz) • Front left and right bass and treble control • 2 Assignable component video inputs (100MHz) • 7 sets composite and "S" video inputs • 7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) analog inputs for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) • 5/7 Channel Stereo • Personal Memory Plus • 6 assignable digital inputs (4 Optical, 2 Coaxial) • 2 Optical digital outputs • 9 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner • Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp level audio outputs • Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive second zone speakers directly • On-Screen Display • Pre-programmed/learning Glow Key remote  • Serial Port for Third Party RS-232 Control Systems • Remote I/O ports • Assignable +12v trigger • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 6.7"h x 16.4"d

intelonetwo

Inexpensive Separates.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:44 am »
I have on order the Emotiva Ultra Lite combo available from www.av123.com.  They seem to me to be the best combination of price quality, and actually having separates as opposed to a receiver.

Al Garay

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:36 am »
Best Buy flyer from Sunday's paper had the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K on sale for $399.