Finally finished DIY stands for my Magneplanar III!

simoon

What a huge difference they make!

I purchased the Maggies about a year ago from a local seller for $280. They had one bad tweeter, torn socks, and some delamination.

Right off the bat, I replaced the tweeter, not knowing there was delamination until shortly after, when I replaced the socks. They actually sounded pretty good, because the delam was pretty minor.

I fixed the delam and replaced the socks, and built new basses (the stock ones were splitting and weak) out of 19 mm MDF.

My plans for a DIY stand were on "paper", and most of the parts attained quite a while ago, but laziness got the better of me. Maybe fueled by the fact that they already sounded pretty darned good.

But this weekend I built the stands. They (and the bases) are not the best looking, but I already have a plan in place to improve them cosmetically, but who knows how long that will take to get to?  :D

I don't think there is a single aspect of performance that has not improved! They go lower, mid bass is tighter, definition and transparency is better, and the image has more focus.

For no more than $60 and a few hours of labor, they almost sound like different speakers.

All I can say, is that if anyone has any model of Maggie without stands, your speakers are not performing their best. If I was not up to DIY these, the difference I hear would definitely be worth the $600 price tag that after market stands go for. Not sure why Magnepan does not offer an option?

Next up, upgrade caps in x-overs...

Please ignore the mess. The system is in a bit of reorganization process.

NIGHTFALL1970

Re: Finally finished DIY stands for my Magneplanar III!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2016, 01:43 am »
Very cool! :thumb:
I got myestands recently and everything about the 1.7s improved.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:28 am »
Nice job Simoon.  :thumb: It is an understatement what a solid set of stands will do for Magnepans. Your "price to performance" ratio is off the charts.

I started out with a pair of MG-II's. I was instantly drawn in to their transparency but thought they lacked some dynamics and bass. After a couple pairs, I settled with 2.7's and built stands for those. They still lack a bit of "thwack factor", but improved on every level considerably. I have had a few good box speakers in the room, for comparison, but they never last.

Dieter

RipTorn

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2016, 01:52 pm »
Nice job and great speakers , Magnapan 3s were my first taste of high end and back in the early 1980s tweaking the Magnapans consisted of using Mod Squads tip toes under the bases . Unfortunately the dealer I ordered them through had little clue how important the right amplifier / amplifiers it is to drive them properly "IE" wake them up . Threshold Stasis did it in spades .

Anyway I loved them and had many of pleasurable hours listening to music .

ViperZ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2020, 05:18 pm »
Hi simoon, just wondering if you could share your plans on paper for these stands?

I have MG-II, and as everyone knows, the original plywood stands are just atrocious (although, I have been using them for 15 years now...).  I'd love to build (or someone local to weld) me a couple of proper stands for those speakers. Thank you!