What can you tell me about these Rega/ProJect tables?

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Rega P25 / RB600 / Goldring 1042
ProJect Perspective / RM9 / Sumiko Blackbird

I know we have members who have had one or the other of these. Anyone heard both, and could compare/contrast sound? I'm familiar with the Rega house sound, but not this Goldring cartridge, and I've never heard the Perspective nor Blackbird. Think there's a clear winner, or just flavor preference?

Rocket

rega/project turntables
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:37 pm »
Hi,

I looked at purchasing both those turntables when i was looking to upgrade last year.  I bought a bluenote piccolo turntable which was similiar in price but their component quality was much higher in comparison.

regards

rod

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2004, 04:25 pm »
I've owned the Rega for 6 years now.  I love it, if that is worth anything.  When I upgrade, it will be to another Rega if that tells you anything.

Michael

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2004, 04:09 am »
Really enjoy the Rega, added the J A Michell Tecno Arm Stub & Counterweight, upgraded platter and bearing, and run a Denon DL-103R cartridge with A-Gons Strange Tonearm tweak (look for TWL and "Strange Tonearm Tweak Long".)

I considered the other table you mentioned,  but never tried/heard it, so unfortunately I can't be of any help there.

dogberry

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2004, 01:17 pm »
Does the Mitchell stub make the arm too long to fit under the dust cover?

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2004, 02:06 pm »
Quote from: dogberry
Does the Mitchell stub make the arm too long to fit under the dust cover?

That's a good question, and the answer is: Not at all, there's plenty of room.

FYI - a nice article on this tweak is available at The Vinyl Engine. I found install of the Michell product to be relatively easy (please review the note at the end of the article regarding securing the arm when removing the old arm stub. My old stub removed quite easily.). When doing the final setup, you have to make sure the scallop weight is visually horizontal - I used a ruler to assist me, but I've got older eyes.  :roll:

There's a number of dealers that handle the JA Michell TecnoWeight. BritAudio has it for $129 (it's in the middle of the web page), I'm not sure what others are selling it for, but Michael Wharton at BA shipped fast and was very helpful.

Also, here's a link for that A-Gon "Strange Tonearm Tweak Long" by TWL.

Happy listening!