Controlling music from Droid type device

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
Controlling music from Droid type device
« on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:29 pm »
I am new to computer based audio, would like to be able to control my music library through a hand held droid type device, we don't have apple anything. Not sure how to approach, music files on a separate external drive now. Last time I did anything I got a sqeezebox, but not hand held control, so its been a while.

Thanks for any help.

Blackmore

Re: Controlling music from Droid type device
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:33 pm »
A friend of mine used JRiver and the Gizmo app to control and it works great for him. Acer notepads are what he uses plus his phone. Check them out

srb

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:43 pm »
You can pick most any music library/player software and there are Android remote apps for it, if not directly from the manufacturer, then from third-party sources.

iTunes (free) - Apple Remote app is for iOS only, but there are third-party Android apps.  I use Retune to control iTunes from my Android phone.

JRiver ($50) - my player of choice.  Gizmo remote app is OK (and free), JRemote ($10) from JRiver is even better.

Steve

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2016, 08:14 am »
A very common solution is UPnP/DLNA
This is a protocol used by almost all streaming devices.
If the audio is on Win, Windows Media sharing is DLNA so you have it already
A modern NAS has a DLNA server as well (Media station and like wise names)
On Android you need a DLNA music player like UPnPlay.
Maybe this page of my website gets you started: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/Android_DLNA.htm

jk@home

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2016, 02:02 am »
If you are still using the Logitech Media Server on your PC, check out the Orange Squeeze app for your phone.  Using here on a Samsumg S7.

http://www.orangebikelabs.com/products/orangesqueeze/

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:07 am »
You can use Foobar2000 as a player on a PC and install the components to use an Android as a remote, or a device running a compatible web browser.  There is an Android App for the remote.

Good luck with your choice.