Audiophile RJ45 cable

slugworth

Audiophile RJ45 cable
« on: 16 Aug 2016, 12:23 am »
 I am looking for a short (4 to 6 inches) "audiophile" rj45 cable. All I can find online are 1 to 2 meter cables.
Currently using an 80 cent cable between usb converter and dac. It's my understanding that the cable should be as short as possible. Right now I prefer my cheap AES connection.

srb

Re: Audiophile RJ45 cable
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2016, 03:25 am »
I am looking for a short (4 to 6 inches) "audiophile" rj45 cable. All I can find online are 1 to 2 meter cables.  Currently using an 80 cent cable between usb converter and dac.

What USB converter and DAC uses an Ethernet cable to interconnect them?  Is it some kind of proprietary I2S connection that uses a standard 568B Ethernet pinout or is this something like an Atterotech Dante/CobraNet networked audio system?

Steve
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2016, 07:48 am by srb »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2016, 09:46 am »
Don't waste a fortune on digital cables. Moving your loudspeaker cabinets 2 inches will have more impact on the sound.

For custom cables this is my place to go to: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/ .
Less than a week between order and delivery, and I live in Europe...

slugworth

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:26 am »
 The converter is an Audio Breeze Xmos U8. The dac is an Audio-Gd SA-2. Just through dumb luck they are compatible. I'll have to check out Bluejeans cables. Their calculator has a minimum length of 1 foot though.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm »
Send them an email or call, every cable they ship is custom made. I am positive that 0.5 ft won't be a problem.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:00 pm »
I'd second Blue Jeans for RJ45 cables. You can buy a foot. They give you a test report. You can also buy Cat6, Cat6A, etc.

jaywills

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:05 pm »
Almost any CAT 6 cable ought to do.  I've got a one meter length of CAT 8 coming in this weekend to replace my CAT 6 cable.  I'll report back if there's an audible difference.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:06 pm »
What is also nice about Blue Jeans is you can get their quality cables in colors. From where my router is, I have a 16 port switch and wall jacks going to 10-11 places, including rooms with music servers in addition to things like Blu-Ray players, Roku boxes, smart TVs, etc. There is Cat6 in my walls and when it comes out of the wall in a destination room there is another switch to connect to the various devices. The colors make it easier to trace things.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:37 pm »
+1 on the color options.

I have a home run media closet in my basement with an 8 port switch.  Life is much easier when you can ID a given component by the color of the cables, vs sorting it out manually.

I also use colored zip ties (one at each end) as a way to ID cables quickly.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:51 pm »
While this is my old house and the new one with its wiring is somewhat simplified, it gives a good illustration of how helpful color coding can be (and that's where I learned my lesson).

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:02 pm »
Un be be... un be be.. unbelievable....
I hope you never had to find a problem
with such a spaghetti junction...  :lol:

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:21 pm »
Un be be... un be be.. unbelievable....
I hope you never had to find a problem
with such a spaghetti junction...  :lol:

Guy 13

Guy, yes I had to a couple of times. The wires in the lower left in the box (in my old house) went to the master bedroom. Other things (boxes) went to the upstairs loft, kitchen and to the projector on the other side of family room.

In the new place, other than the network cables to the office and the HDMI cable going up the wall and Thru the ceiling, I don't have wiring going anywhere else