Janszen Electrostatics

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
Janszen Electrostatics
« on: 15 Aug 2016, 04:15 pm »
Just moved back to the States from the land of Quad (England). Four years in London has taught me an awful lot about just how finicky Quad placement can be and just how BIG - given the relative size of home in London - Martin Logans can be. I am 6' 5" tall and their new Neoliths can just about look me in the face. That said those puppies need space but for other reasons.

I am living in Columbus, 15 minutes from the Janszen workshop and 5 minutes from the Janszen homestead. I took the opportunity to listen to the floorstanding Valentinas and standmount Carmelitas and was impressed by both, but given the option the former are high on my list.

The openness and transparency of the speakers garnered my rapt attention. My current speakers are Audio Physic Tempo IIIi and while i enjoy them dearly, it is time for a new pair of speakers for the system. I shall not be getting rid of them. Always good to have spares :)

Am awaiting delivery of a Parasound Halo 2.1 integrated amplifier this week. Should match nicely with the Janszens and besides the sound, the versatility of connections (inputs/outputs), phono stage and DAC.

Pryso

Re: Janszen Electrostatics
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2016, 11:34 pm »
David, I believe you will be making a good choice.  In my experience the Janszens offer a unique combination of accurate detail (electrostatic mid/tweeter), hybrid integration (no one has been able to hear the transition to the dynamic woofers in my pair), bass extension, dynamics without distortion, and ease of placement (closer to front wall than other planars since there is no rear radiation).  As a bonus, David Janszen will prove extremely helpful, if he has not already done so.

After you've had them a month, report back with your impressions.  :thumb:

jsm71

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2016, 11:57 am »
David,

Add me to the list of satisfied JansZen Valentina owners.  I'm just south of you in Cincinnati and I also worked directly with David Janszen initially and since for a couple of upgrades since I was an early customer.  As Pryso said, please report back after they break in a bit.  If you're like the rest of us, the smile just gets bigger.   :D   

What is your setup like in the room?

johnto

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:21 pm »
Did you like the Parasound 2.1. I just recently bought one to pair with Magnepan 1.7 wow what a great sound blows my mono blocks away in every way.

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2016, 04:08 am »
Here is another happy owner of the Valentina (formerly zA2.1). I am using them with an AVA amp, and that is also a good match.

davidavdavid

• david.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:14 pm »
Update and status:

I do indeed like my Parasound 2.1 Halo Integrated Amplifier. Am a big fan of integrateds in an apartment setting where there is not the "comfortable" room to both live AND listen in the same room :)  The Parasound is more than powerful enough and extremely functional. Its DAC is more than serviceable.

As for the Janszen Electrostatics and any electrostatics for that matter, takes some getting used to. They truly are a paradigm shift both physically and sonically. I had them in my apartment for several weeks and while I found them most enjoyable, they just were not for me.

When I move from one component to another, it needs to be a sonic upgrade and truly noticeable improvement from the status quo. I wanted very much to embrace the Valentinas.

Oh well.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:26 pm »
David,

What did you think of the various Quads you have heard?  I ask because it is not clear from your post whether you don't like electrostatic speakers in general or just the Janszen.  I ask because as a Quad ESL-2805 owner I am always curious about comparisons.

Pryso

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2016, 05:22 pm »
David, could you identify what there was about the Janszens that caused you to reject them?

I happen to believe they are exceptional, but understand that does not mean everyone else will as well.  I ask because I initially heard them at THE Show Newport, then at an audio club demo.  I heard some things I liked, but overall I would not have bought them based on either audition.  However I had already arranged for a home audition following the club demo and in my room and system they really came alive.  So I'm just curious as to why they didn't please you?

If interested, you can find my review comments at Speaker Asylum.

davidavdavid

• david.com
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2016, 04:50 pm »
Electrostatics on the whole present a different sound, and if one, like myself, has spent close to 40 years listening to traditional (non electrostatic) speakers, certain biases and comfort zones make themselves known. In listening to the Quads in London, while the sound was indeed pleasing, the room placement and requirements just made them too much to bear. Bear in mind that homes in London are far more physically restrictive in size.

As for the Janszens, they are far more forgiving when it comes to room placement because they have the look and feel of traditional speakers, but then, TO MY EARS, they were NOT exponentially better than the sound coming from my Audio Physic speakers.

David,

What did you think of the various Quads you have heard?  I ask because it is not clear from your post whether you don't like electrostatic speakers in general or just the Janszen.  I ask because as a Quad ESL-2805 owner I am always curious about comparisons.

davidavdavid

• david.com
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:01 pm »
Different strokes for different folks. Over the years we consciously and sub-consciously train our ears. As I live local, really local, to Janszen HQ i had a pair of the Valentina's set up in my apartment and listened to them at length for 2 weeks. I auditioned the passive floor standers in my home and listened to the actives not only at the Janszen workshop but in the home of the speaker designer as well. Of the two I can tell you I preferred the actives of the passives. And, if I were to go electrostatic, I'd opt for the actives and that's a whole other paradigm shift

After my exposure to Quads and Janszens, I have to believe that I am not the man for electrostatics. And please don't get me started on Martin-Logan :)

It may well indeed be the future of hi-fi systems, where active speakers do away with stand-alone amplifiers, and DACs do away with pre-amplifiers.

David, could you identify what there was about the Janszens that caused you to reject them?

I happen to believe they are exceptional, but understand that does not mean everyone else will as well.  I ask because I initially heard them at THE Show Newport, then at an audio club demo.  I heard some things I liked, but overall I would not have bought them based on either audition.  However I had already arranged for a home audition following the club demo and in my room and system they really came alive.  So I'm just curious as to why they didn't please you?

If interested, you can find my review comments at Speaker Asylum.

Mike B.

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:44 pm »
I have been playing with highend stuff since the late 1960's. I have owned electrostatics ( Infinity ), planers (Tympany), and many cone types. They each have their pluses and minuses IMO. I don't have any experience with the latest Janszens.  I would guess they are a one person sweet spot speaker? The one thing I would miss with stats and planars was the dynamic contrasts cones seem to do better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2016, 06:29 pm »
Generally stats (and OB's in general) have a larger but more laid back sound.  Box speakers have a more forward and percussive sound. 

Pryso

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:21 pm »
david, I understand about personal preferences, which is why I said "but understand that does not mean everyone else will as well."  I see too that I misunderstood your original post, thinking you bought the Janszens (in addition to keeping your Audio Physics) and were looking for comments on the Parasound match.

It is apparent from reading audio websites that many enthusiasts believe/expect whatever pleases them should be perfect for everyone else as well.  I can't think of a single product, audio or otherwise, where there is universal satisfaction.  Not every gentleman prefers blonds!  :lol:

For Mike B, while not as narrow a radiation as the Sanders system, listening from the sweet spot is certainly beneficial with the Janszens.  But I find I can greatly enjoy listening 3-4 feet to either side as well.  Certainly is is not a head-in-a-vise system like some electrostatics.  Also, if measured by the "jump factor", I find the dynamic contrasts with Janszens to be fully engaging. 

jsm71

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2016, 12:47 pm »
I believe the kind of speakers one prefers is often a function of how you listen and what you listen to.  I like many, prefer to occupy the sweet spot and my listening room is my sanctuary.  Other than getting up to flip or change LPs I'm sitting and soaking in the sound.  I will also have listening friends over who like to listen the same way.  For me, stats are the ultimate transducer for the most realistic reproduction.  I also listen to a lot of jazz and classical with acoustic instruments.  With the low mass of the material I find dynamics to be wonderful.  It does matter which amp you have paired to the speakers however.  As with any speaker/amp combo, the handshake needs to work well.

If I wanted to move about the room while listening I doubt I would use stats.  If I was heavily into techno or mostly rock and roll I can understand if planars/stats didn't have as much appeal.  Isn't having options a great thing?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2016, 04:51 pm »
I'm firmly in the OB camp myself.  I use planar magnetics not stat transducers but it's still a very similar approach.  I also listen mainly to classical and acoustic instruments in a real space.  This is where stats/planars and OB excel. 

On the other hand, OB doesn't have the "punch you in the gut" presentation for rock that a good box speaker can have.  Even my speakers, which use servo controlled dual active 12" woofers per side and has very percussive and clean/strong bass does not quite match the full force of a top flight box speaker with bass punch. 

Also, I find paper and carbon fiber drivers tend to have a nicer tone than stats or planars just due to the nature of the materials and the mechanism they use to produce sound.  I am a tone freak, and I've found that using Jupiter Wax/Paper/Copper Foil caps will give stats and planars a very nice sound.  So will Jantzen Wax/Copper/Paper Inductors.  There's just something about the purity of the copper foil combined with the resonance control of the Wax/Paper combo that calms things down and imparts a beautiful tonality. 

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2016, 01:15 pm »
Tyson, great descriptions, both posts. I feel my Maggies lack a little in dynamics (thwak factor) and have been interested in building a DIY kit similar to what "pure Audio" provides. Do to the complex crossovers and potential need for (servo) subs, I opted to try the single driver route instead. With your experience and descriptions of the various types of speakers, I feel I made the right choice.

side note: I have a vintage tuner system in the back half of my stereo room. I use a pair of "Tone Tubby", hemp cone, full range drivers with it. To my surprise, they provide percussion slam and great vocal tone.

jsm71, I am in the cincy area and would liked to "get a listen" to your Valentinas. I believe we may have a mutual friend in Independence, KY. He has mentioned Janszens a couple of times.
Please send me a PM, I enjoy hosting small get-togethers and would like to invite you over sometime.

Dieter

davidavdavid

• david.com
« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2016, 02:16 pm »
Happy to see a healthy exchange of ideas here.

I will say that between the Janszens and othe stats the sweet spot is wider and more forgiving than other stat speakers  And as others mentioned a great deal relies upon choice of source material

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2016, 02:27 pm »
^ This would be a plausible achievement for an e-stat for sure. I have been accused of having this narrow sweet spot (planars). Looks funny having a couple friends over and we are all lined up, from The Chair, to the back wall, last guy standing to get above the heads in front of them.  :?

However, I love the expressions and comments I receive when a new listener sits down in the sweet spot for the first time.

Dieter

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2016, 01:27 pm »
I've read only good reviews for the Janzens but never had the opportunity for a listen.  I would imagine from their physical size (panel width) that they would have a bit wider sweet spot than larger ESL's.   And I would be very curious to know what's behind the panels in the cabinets. 

Believe it or not, my previous ESL's actually had switch-selectable wide and narrow dispersion modes-- a narrow mode for max slam and precise imaging at a very narrow sweet spot or wide mode for casual listening and entertaining guests.  Whenever I changed modes though, I would have to re-tune the equalization curve, which I did using a digital EQ with saved memory settings.  It was kind of cool but I found myself mostly listening in the wide mode so I omitted the dual mode feature in my newest ESL's. 

No matter which ESL's you have though, they all seem to have that special magic you can only get from an ESL.  :thumb:               

davidavdavid

• david.com
« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2016, 10:58 pm »
Given the heightened interest in Janszen electrostatics, might be of interest to folks to make a pilgrimage, a Haj of softs, to Columbus Ohio - Janszen HQ :)