AC Power bar with Bybees or Bybees with a Surge protector?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
How different would this product http://www.cryotweaks.com/Bybee/Slipstream.shtml in conjuction with a Trip Lite Isobar surge protector be from a Boulder AC power bar with 3 Bybees  in functionality?

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2004, 10:30 pm »
Most surge protectors designed for computers limit dynamics when used with audio gear. Quite a few of them use lower voltage rated MOVs which may degrade with time.

The Power Bar with 3) Bybees inside uses all ACME Audio Silver Plated outlets, which will grip your plugs tighter and sound better than the inexpensive connectors used in the Trip Lite. I use the third Bybee to isolate the last set of outlets. It will not only reduce line noise a bit more, it will prevent any digital device plugged into those outlets from adding any "grunge" back into the AC line.

There will be fewer mechanical connections with the Power Bar which means less potential for micro-arcing.

I can add a 150 VAC rated MOV for surge protection, if that is a big concern for you.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2004, 08:04 pm »
I wish to expand on the topic of surge protection for a bit.

As I posted above, most "Surge Surpressors" use low voltage MOVs.

What I will use is known as a ZNR.

The major advantage of ZNR's over all other 'Surge Supressors' is that the ZNR's are not "cumulative" as MOVs are. MOVs will fail (go 'open') after a number of small over-voltage hits as each over-voltage effect adds up and weakens the supressor until it fails without warning. The ZNR will absorb small over voltages without weakening.

I will now install the ZNR transient/surge absorbers in the Power Bars at no extra charge. I will be changing the website shortly to reflect this.