Passive Time Delay Network

audiogurujax

Passive Time Delay Network
« on: 8 Aug 2016, 07:57 pm »
I need some basic Help to get the answer to this question:

I want to create a time delay passive network and I cant fined any diagrams on how to build it or the formula on how to calculate the parts.

For example if I want to delay my tweeter 1.5 ms from the mid range and the tweeter is 4 ohms and crossed at 2500 hz. how that's done passively (diagram) and how do you calculate the values of the components (formula or calculator) and last can I daisy chain these to create a ladder, like for an array beam forming

Please help me Seriously I been looking the answer to these question for 3 weeks.

lowtech

Re: Passive Time Delay Network
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2016, 08:44 pm »
What you are describing is an all-pass filter.  Often it's not practical to implement passively but it can be done.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/20356-allpass-filter-design-using-passive-components.html

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2016, 09:10 pm »
Cool question!  :thumb:

A delay of 1.5mS at 2500Hz is roughly 1200 degrees of phase, or 18 inches and you need delay to extend below the XO freq to account for the roll off of the tweeter too. I don't think there is any practical way to generate that much delay (phase error) with passive, speaker level components. But I look forward to checking out lowtech's link! I think even line level active analog all pass filter would not be practical for such long delay. Maybe this article can inspire you:
http://webpages.charter.net/wa1sov/technical/allpass/allpass.html
Stacking so many delay blocks would not be totally harmless to the signal with all those caps and unity gain opamps.

Better options are to use dsp delay effect, or physically align the drivers on Z axis to eliminate the need for large delay.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2016, 04:12 pm »
Zaphaudio did it in one of their designs.   Like said above, its an all-pass design, but more practically a band-pass design in most cases.