Suicide Squad

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Suicide Squad
« on: 5 Aug 2016, 09:32 pm »
Saw this earlier today with my two sons and we all agreed that it was better than Batman v Superman and not as bad as some the reviews.

Maybe we had low expectations, but at times it was funny and action packed.  It had decent flow, a good soundtrack, and did I mention, lots of action?  ;-)

The stars of the movie were definitely Will Smith (Deadshot) and Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn).  Both made the characters interesting and engaging.  Unfortunately, I can't say that for the other characters.  They were poorly formed, given little script to work with, and were generally boring.

Without giving anything away, the plot was about what we expected and seemed like a missed opportunity.

Overall, I was glad to see it in the theater and at the discounted matinee price.

DC redeemed itself (a small bit) with this one and hopefully the next movies will continue to improve and go in the right direction.

George

stlrman

Re: Suicide Squad
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2016, 05:48 pm »
Thanks for the review ! It's on my rent the Blu-ray list!!

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2016, 06:05 pm »
I saw it in 3D IMAX in Columbus, Ohio.  Prices were quite respectable, if I had waited for the rest of my commute to Maryland the price would have been $6 more.

Both of my two older children girl 17 and boy 14 loved it.  I thought it better than the last Marvel team film, not nearly as good as Deadpool.  Not as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy, but this is Gotham.  Nothing is every jubilant in the Bat's universe.  I did not see Superman vs Batman.  Don't plan on it either.

10 more minutes will be taped back onto the spool for the blu-ray edition...I will probably purchase that version if it is not available to stream at later dates.  Would love to see more Quinn and Joker. 
I agree the other parts were sparse, but that would have been a much longer film.  It was easy enough to follow, I just did not get any references to the S vs B history.
 :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2016, 05:01 am »
Meh.  Just got back from it, seemed like largely a waste.  And those of you that read my film comments know I'm pretty charitable when it comes to action/comics flix. :duh:  To be honest I liked this film better when it was called Ghostbusters. :wink:  Because what little plot it did have was ripped off directly from it!  Robbie was great as Harley Quinn, no doubt.  Will Smith did a great job of playing Will Smith In An Action Movie.  The rest of the cast were one dimensional, one-note cutouts.  Sword chick was a chick with a sword, Jai Courtney was the Guy With The Funny Accent.  We had square jawed action hero leader guy (didn't even catch his name).  Viola Davis was in the film, that's all I can say about her.  She was the dangerous, good/bad leader.  Model/'actress' Cara Delevingne was to movie archeologists as Denise Richard's was to movie nuclear physicists, which is to say a real reach. Overall though character development was on par with a bottom tier video game; for the most part each member's power was pretty much their character.  We see what little tidbits we need to see to understand what the character will do in a given scene but not much more.

Jared Leto was captivating for seconds on end. That is to say I was intrigued with the direction he was taking the Joker but he must have had three minutes of total screen time, four tops.  Ben Affleck looked like a guy irritated that he didn't read his film contract a bit more carefully.

The color palette was dark, the effects middling and recycled.  Am I imagining it or was the BBEG's machine basically a carbon copy of the BBEG's machine in the latest Ninja Turtles movie?  Overall the movie made almost no sense at all. SPOILER ALERT!!! Basically the Squad was assembled to take down a threat that was created solely because Davis' character created the Squad.  END SPOILERS. 

The movie isn't a total waste of time but it's close.  Not even close to as good as Batman V Superman IMO.  DC really dropped the ball IMO.  It's hard to take the B-team and make a tentpole film about them.  Marvel did a fantastic job of exactly that with Guardians of the Galaxy.  Maybe DC should have locked their execs in a theater to watch that one a few more times.

Unless you're a DC Comics fanatic I'd pass on this one.

LordCloud

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2016, 07:30 pm »
it's difficult to mess a movie up when you have the acting talents of Viola Davis and Jared Leto in it. But mess it up they did.

This was one of  the laziest put together movies I've seen, in recent memory. I can't even recommend it for the action, as that was lazy too.

There were really only a few good scenes...most of the movie was forgettable.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2016, 09:16 pm »
looks like it will be to Affleck to save the franchise. his justice league trailer was terrific. and wonder woman looks fantastic. no wonder pine signed up.

it's a shame about suicide because Ayer is a really really great director.  he got swallowed up by the machine on this one.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm »
I thought it sucked for the most part.

Reviews about it being two movies in one seem correct. The panic at critic response to Batman vs. Superman (despite the fans liking it) caused this, so the story goes.

I didn't like that Deadshot didn't wear his mask, like, ever. STUPID. Who cares about Will Smith? I went to see Deadshot. And too many other characters played little to no role.

The Joker... I have serious problems with that puff version of him. He's weak and stupid. He's obsessed with "things" instead of a higher calling like Ledger. Worst of all they made him obsessed with Quinn. In the comics he treats her like dirt most of the time, but circumstances & her craziness always lead her to believe he loves her. That's way better for his character. In fact in the comics he "rescues" her several times on accident and she thinks it's on purpose, so he just says, "of course I came for you (a lie)." He's a psychopath, not a love sick puppy. WHAT A BLUNDER.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:35 am »
I saw it - was OK - nothing great

Joemamma

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2016, 03:52 am »
I can't sugar coat this one, one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen in my life.  If it wasn't for my son being with me, I would have bailed.  Superman vs Batman was like Citizen Kane compared to this film.  This film was plagued by problems from the beginning.  Ayer, who has never directed a film of this scale, was only given 6 weeks to pen the script.  With the success of the Marvel movies, the big shots ordered re-shoots to make the film more humorous and fun.  After the re-shoots, they didn't even use Ayer's version.  The film made no sense at all, a complete mess.  DC needs to not make anything for a while and then start from scratch.  Leto's joker was absolutely disgraceful.  Method, over acting, at its worst.  He is even come out and said he feels like he was tricked into making this movie.  The only redeeming quality of this film was Margot Robbie's Harley.  She nailed it.  Mark my words, this film will sweep the Razzie Awards. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2016, 02:55 pm »
To me this was not great.  I enjoyed the action, but there are better action movies out there.

I liked seeing Joel Kinnaman (loved him in The Killing).

I did not even notice Ben as Batman.

Joker was ok, but nothing like Ledger's disturbed version.

Good if you are stuck on a plane!

srb

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2016, 03:54 pm »
I can't sugar coat this one, one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen in my life.  If it wasn't for my son being with me, I would have bailed.

I watched it by myself, so I could bail ..... and did.