Huuuummmmmmmmm and the Tale of a Twit

Seano

« on: 9 Nov 2004, 10:45 pm »
As I've batted on about lately (and volubly), I have finished my Nirvana Plus upgrade and the casework too.

All sorted.  Except for this damnable hum in the right channel.  

I spent much of yesterday in an email battle with Hugh seeking ideas, information and support. And naturally recieved all that in spades.

So I got home yesterday and went on the attack. First I fiddled with the power wires then I fiddled with the input and output wiring.  No change. Transferred mains earth from the case to star earth. Still humming.  Ripped the back off to try and get a look under the boards and to fidddle with the output devices. Still humming.  Except on the two occasions I forgot to turn the bastard thing on. Where's my axe?

Played with binding posts and RCA jacks to check on any case shorts. Nothing. Still humming along.

Angry. Pissed off. Frustrated. Stand back or you'll break something.  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Hmmm. What happens if I swap interconnects? I'll be buggered. Hum moves from right channel to left channel.  You bloody idiot.

Re-assemble AKSA. Replace interconnect. Turn the thing on. Silence. No hum. Press play on the CD. Kate Noonan from George comes roaring out of the silence. Magnificent.

The ground wire on the interconnect had parted company with the jack on the amp end due mishandling on my part.  Easy fix.

After all that angst I forgot the basics. AGAIN. One day maybe I might even learn......not bloody likely :oops:

Lost81

« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2004, 11:01 pm »
Seano,

If it makes you feel better, I had the same experience but it lasted me 2 weeks before I swapped interconnects and isolated the problem to a break in continuity in the ground wire for the interconnect.

-Lost81

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2004, 11:38 pm »
Sean,

I'm so bloody smart I do everything by intuition these days.  Guess what?  I too chase hum issues for hours because I forget to do the basic detective work in a disciplined way.  Reminds me of my training as a young infantryman.  Rifle stops.  Stop, lock, look-in, check blockage.  No, check mag, rounds present? Yes, remove gas regulator, check for blockage, No, set one higher, cock, resume firing.......

We need to do all these basic things with a humming amp because you can't see, hear, feel electricity and there's no telling what this invisible gremlin is up to.  Yesterday AndyR and I spent more than two hours chasing a fault on a high end phono amp (of dubious design, I might archly add).  Ask him how disciplined I was on that one!!  Not......   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh