The Whatangles

Mendocino

The Whatangles
« on: 10 Jul 2016, 08:58 pm »
Passersby: "Working on speakers, huh" ? ........ Me: "Yep" ...... Passersby: "What are all of those angles for" ?
LOL .... named before they even held drivers. This project was rather simple. Anyone who's read my introduction circles novel, know fortunes have changed for me, and funds dictate my life now. Thus, diy speakers, made with a purpose : How good can backyard, scrap pile lumber, shop tools speakers sound ?  Very good, actually.
       I've always been a fan of the under dog, so these were fun. Their cabinet construction is a menagerie food glue, mdf, acx plywood, hardboard, bondo and rock hard putty, lol. And in a LOT of cut up and glued together pieces, as well. I admire well constructed cnc cut cabinets from 13+ ply so much, but I don't believe them essential any longer. Don't get me wrong, the Whatangles are extremely well braced, but they are shockingly dead for a bunch of pieces of wood glued together !  I don't have any discernible cabinet resonance at all, and the accelerometer shows zero strong resonance issues also. I used every trick I know, which I could afford. Tensioned threaded rod, extensive bracing, 2" thick baffle, etc. I've used acoustical foam, poly fill, and custom cut cardboard tubes, which line the walls to address internal cabinet air flow and symmetry. The threaded rod is heavily damped with duct seal, and the cabinet internal walls are treated with resonance killing mat material.
        The drivers and x-overs are a Focal Flax 6.5" car audio component system. New from a dealer about $550 total. And they are a serious revelation ! The Flax are very good, and can compete with Audio Technology quality drivers, imo. Really shocked me. And I traditionally HATE Focal tweeters. But this one was specifically designed to complement the Flax drivers, and I think it's amazing for a small format car tweeter. I would love to hear it with a proper, shallow waveguide. The car audio x-overs use very high quality parts, but once I get two more channels of power, they will be changed out for Mini DSP fully active.
        Now I know they sound amazing to my ears, I'll start the finish process. Lots of sanding and smoothing, then paint ... veneer ... hydro dip ?????

[/quote]

GaryPC

Re: The Whatangles
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2021, 02:06 pm »
What accelerometer are you using? I’m looking for something to hook up to a scope, but I see some (all?) require a preamp?