Why do you like a recording?

Mag

Why do you like a recording?
« on: 5 Jul 2016, 01:00 am »
Okay, this thread is about why you like a certain album or song recording.

I'll start 'er off with "Made in Japan" 25th anniversary re-mastered mix, particularly the song Space Truckin', but I also like Highway Star and Child in Time.

With the old mix Ritchie Blackmore's guitar was off to the right. The re-mix has the guitar centered so its sound is coming from both left and right speakers not just the right speaker. I also have the original Made in Japan release from Osaka which has a more raw sound but there are differences in the improvisation and mistakes on others. The songs released to the public IMO were the best choice of tracks and perhaps recorded previously or elsewhere on the tour with stage talk comments edited in or cut. So there is no need to think you missed out on better tracks with the original recordings.

Anyway in my 8'x11'x25' room multi-channel stereo set-up along the long wall. In 4 channel stereo, the soundstage of this mix is wide and powerful sounding. In fact after a listening session I'm hard pressed to think of another song or album that conveys the same kind of width that I find so enveloping. :inlove:

Equipment: Bryston bdp-1,bda-1,SP2 digital stereo,2-3B SST/2,Model T passives, Paradigm Studio 100 v2. Velodyne CH-10, Yamaha MG-10 mixer

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Why do you like a recording?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2016, 01:44 pm »
1. Irresistible melodies
2. Very well-recorded -- instrumental/vocal separation, imaging, dynamic range all there.
3. Places the artists in my room.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2016, 01:55 pm »
For me recordings are the only way to go. I have a lousy memory for lyrics, a lousy voice and no musical training or natural talent. With recordings I am able to access all manner of joy and beauty that I could never provide for myself.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2016, 06:08 am »
1. Irresistible melodies
2. Very well-recorded -- instrumental/vocal separation, imaging, dynamic range all there.
3. Places the artists in my room.

All this, plus a great performance.

For classical music, if I like the interpretation of the score by the conductor and orchestra, I'll forego a great recordning for a good recording of a better performance.

A great example is Robert Russell Bennet's Victory at Sea.  He wrote that for the tv series in the 50's.   He conducted the RCA Symphony (a bunch of NYC based players) in the late 50's.  I also have Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati doing the same arrangements in the 90's (on Telarc).  The Telarc recordings, as expected, are technically spectacular, but the performance, emotion and energy is lacking compared to the late 50's RCA recording.

Ideally,  I like getting all 4 together.

The only caveat is that I don't care for things recorded before about 1950.  A lot of microphone and recording improvements were made around 1950.  I just don't care for the 40's and earlier recordings, even when they've been re-engineered and cleaned up.

HsvHeelFan

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm »
For me recordings are the only way to go. I have a lousy memory for lyrics, a lousy voice and no musical training or natural talent. With recordings I am able to access all manner of joy and beauty that I could never provide for myself.

Ditto, Tom!  It's that emotional connection to music that does it for me, and a good system really puts it in our respective listening rooms.   :thumb:

MoPac

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2016, 02:08 pm »
 It's something I've never heard before.  The exploration continues.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2016, 06:41 pm »
One of the things I was getting at, is a stereo soundstage is an artificial mix.  In the case of Deep Purple Made in Japan - 25th anniversary, the re-mix was an improvement on the original recording mix which sounded raw and unprocessed.

Knowing that a mix is an artificial soundstage, does it factor in to your 'like or dislike' of a song version even if the performance was great?  :smoke:

Pundamilia

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2016, 06:59 pm »
I would agree. I used to go crazy over trying to hear a coherent soundstage, until I met a Recording Engineer, at a party, who told me that most recordings today are made with each musician alone in a small sound room with headphones through which they can hear previously-recorded tracks. It isn't until the various tracks are mixed together that the group or vocalist and musicians "come together". Any comments from those knowledgeable members of this forum on what I was told?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2016, 07:33 pm »
I would agree. I used to go crazy over trying to hear a coherent soundstage, until I met a Recording Engineer, at a party, who told me that most recordings today are made with each musician alone in a small sound room with headphones through which they can hear previously-recorded tracks. It isn't until the various tracks are mixed together that the group or vocalist and musicians "come together". Any comments from those knowledgeable members of this forum on what I was told?

Not true with classical recordings -- chamber, opera, and orchestral.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2016, 08:31 pm »
Studio recording is not only very technical , it's also a form of art to control and arrange the elements to create harmony. It's also vivid pictures of the past .

And a successful recording usually represents the artists at their best. it reminds you that life can be great and exciting, well yeah sometimes it can go wildly sideways and end in a puddle of puke at age 27. But hey, at least it ended on a high note :green:

Now where's the TV, let's throw it in the pool.

Pundamilia

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2016, 08:32 pm »
Agreed! Obviously not with live recordings either. :oops:

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2016, 08:45 pm »
Not true with classical recordings -- chamber, opera, and orchestral.

Yeah classical is different, you can not reassemble an ill arranged, fragmented performance, no matter how good the digital witchcrafts. In the old days, producer is king, a dictator and in command of everything , such as Walter Legge from EMI.

A noise is just a noise ,no matter how realistic or rich it sounded.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:43 am »
Agreed! Obviously not with live recordings either. :oops:
Have you ever listened to Alive II by KISS? A live album that only has live screaming people. Everything else is studio...
Many "live" albums have overdubs. Some more (like the KISS album), some less. A true live album without any tampering in the studio afterwards is VERY hard to find. Classical and Jazz might be the only exceptions to this rule.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm »
Yeah classical is different, you can not reassemble an ill arranged, fragmented performance, no matter how good the digital witchcrafts. In the old days, producer is king, a dictator and in command of everything , such as Walter Legge from EMI.

A noise is just a noise ,no matter how realistic or rich it sounded.

Listened to Bruckner's 8th, with Boulez/Vienna Phil, rec live 1996 at St Florian's Abbey Church in Austria (Bruckner is buried under their organ there). The engineers really earned their pay that day! What a soundstage, and those famous strings.....

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2016, 09:49 pm »
What everyone has said so far, with the highest attention on how it conveys emotions and feelings AND can it successfully get me to feel that emotion. It's one thing to understand and identify the theme and emotion, but another to be completely taken back and actually convinced. Maybe I'm just really picky. It takes a lot for me to get going.

A.R. Rahman's stuff is a great example. Not only is it top notch recording from an audiophile perspective, but also gets me involved musically.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2016, 04:49 am »
zoom25, do you have an AR Rahman favorite that you'd recommend?

HsvHeelFan

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:06 pm »
I have two favourite movie albums that he scored for: Lagaan and Taal

First: Lagaan full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kABjNDQ4pg

Second: Taal full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAmTVnuPck

Both can be skipped with tracks built in. Although I really advise on listening when you have the chance to sit down and listen straight through and through. He takes elements from all around the world. The Youtube version of Lagaan seems fine. For some reason, Taal seems a touch bit on the brighter side for some reason. Not sure if its been remastered, or I have too many memories from the tape's renditions  :lol:

Both of these are from the late 90s. For something recent:

Ghajini (2008) full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW5_Ea4y8IG

I listen to a lot of languages, even if I don't speak them, but can recognize when things are top notch and full of emotions. Give them all a shot for through and through. You're in for a TREAT  :thumb:

Some of the top composition out there that's timeclass even though I am loaded out here on all-star jazz and classical recordings. AR Rahman never ceases to amaze me.

EDIT: Forgot this as well

Dil Se full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qTfrvaBtI

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2016, 02:17 pm »
Listened to Bruckner's 8th, with Boulez/Vienna Phil, rec live 1996 at St Florian's Abbey Church in Austria (Bruckner is buried under their organ there). The engineers really earned their pay that day! What a soundstage, and those famous strings.....

Label?  #?

Thanks!

Bob

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted