Let's say you just found that awesome car...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Let's say you just found that awesome car...
« on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:20 pm »
That awesome sports car (hot rod, expensive fishing boat, etc.) for sale that you've dreamed about owning for a couple years now. And let's say you can just afford it. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's doable. Let's also say you know you won't be able to use it for more than a couple months out of the year for the next 12 to 24 months because of work or living situations. Your partner won't be too happy that you bought it, but won't leave you because of it. You're pretty certain that after those (up to) two years you'll be able to enjoy it whenever you want because your work schedule/living situation will allow it......................

Would you plop down that cash now or would you step back and make yourself wait because you know a deal like this will probably pop up again once or twice a year?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Let's say you just found that awesome car...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:32 pm »
My 2 cents are:
I would let it pass why I see sports cars as fragile and expensive to fix, but would make it clear to wife that Iam not buying this stunning car for her request due the huge love I feel her. 8)

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:33 pm »
I just picked up a Ford Fusion (2016) Titanium car that is pretty awesome. Lincoln class without the Lincoln cost.......

'ner

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2016, 12:03 pm »
Michael,
It all depends--what's the value of enjoyment for a few months/year over the next couple years vs. the depreciation + grief from others?  If it's used, the depreciation can be pretty minor, so it really comes down to how much of an issue the grief will be :wink:

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm »
P.S. why do I suspect the question is about speakers? :lol:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm »

+1  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2016, 12:23 pm »
Assuming it is about a car, I personally would wait.

I have a 69 T Bird I quite like, and drive about 1000 miles a year (summers only of course).

I enjoy owning it, driving it, cleaning it and all things associated with it.

That said if I were going traveling for a few years and would not be in Canada with it, I would sell it.

If it is speakers, I would buy them!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2016, 02:53 pm »

Assuming it is about a car, I personally would wait.

I have a 69 T Bird I quite like, and drive about 1000 miles a year (summers only of course).

I enjoy owning it, driving it, cleaning it and all things associated with it.

That said if I were going traveling for a few years and would not be in Canada with it, I would sell it.

If it is speakers, I would buy them!

Yeah, you got me. I was using a car, boat, or other toy as a surrogate for the speakers that I very nearly offered to buy. There's a pair of Daedalus Athenas for sale here on AC, Agon, and US Audio Mart that I know sound amazing. They would sound even more amazing after upgrading to version two, a woofer upgrade, and re-polishing. They would sound amazing in my home in Taiwan.......or that was my fantasy anyway. I discussed the idea with my buddy, Aldcol, the different factors: my listening room, its limitations, WAF, and all expenses involved in upgrading, shipping, import duty and everything (including my wife's likely reaction!), and we concluded that purchasing the Athenas is not in my current best interests.  :duh:  :(

There are very good reasons why I want either monitor speakers or standmount speakers for my space in Taiwan. I'm going back to my original fantasy of buying great kit speakers to take over there.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - about cars or otherwise. This hobby really gets one's fantasies excited, huh?

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:20 pm »
Well if its speakers Iam filling the check...