ACI Passive RCA Inline High Pass Filter Question

StevenACNJ

« on: 8 Nov 2004, 03:53 pm »
Thinking of setting up a small new 2 channel audio system with a subwoofer.

Was looking at the ACI high pass filters and was wondering if by using them, they do anything to degrade the sound quality coming from the main speakers? I understand how the filters hook up but am wondering if they junk up the signal.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2004, 05:40 pm »
In my experience, they are quite transparent.
Rich

Mike Dzurko

Re: ACI Passive RCA Inline High Pass Filter Question
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2004, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ

Was looking at the ACI high pass filters and was wondering if by using them, they do anything to degrade the sound quality coming from the main speakers? I understand how the filters hook up but am wondering if they junk up the signal.

Thanks in advance.

Steven:

There is about 3- 4db loss of output with the filter, (insertion loss).

So, if you listen, stop, insert filters, and listen again, it will immediately sound less real, less dynamic, collapsed soundstage, etc. All the things that a 3-4db loss in volume will do. Turn the volume back up to where it was before, and magically it will all be good again   :)

Harry P

Re: ACI Passive RCA Inline High Pass Filter Question
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2004, 02:16 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ

Thanks in advance.

when I first put them in I thought it changed the sound. And it did, for the better. Filtering the bass out of the mains let them run cleaner.

thugh

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2004, 03:23 pm »
How are the filters different than the crossover points on my MC12?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2004, 12:24 pm »
Quote from: thugh

Our filters are a passive add on at fixed frequency at 6db/oct. The filters in a processor are active filters, generall 12db/oct or higher of variable frequency. I wonder what the slope is on the MC12? Our local installer is a Lex dealer, if I get a chance I'll call him. It is probably in your Lex manual.

thugh

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko

Our filters are a passive add on at fixed frequency at 6db/oct. The filters in a processor are active filters, generall 12db/oct or higher of variable frequency. I wonder what the slope is on the MC12? Our local installer is a Lex dealer, if I get a chance I'll call him. It is probably in your Lex manual.

On the Lex there is two options I believe, 12 and 24... Thanks Mike!

thugh

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko

On the Lex there are two options I believe, 12 and 24... Thanks Mike!