Elcaset - very interesting but never heard of it until yesterday

rif

• Not a cowboy

Phil A

Remember it well. Another Sony product with good technology for its time that never was supported by other manufacturers. Also was never adopted in automobiles, which hurt its chances in the portable market. Basically, the width of reel to reel with the convenience of cassettes.

dB Cooper

'Compact Cassette' was too entrenched at that point, plus, then as now, most people cared more about convenience than quality, protestations to the contrary notwithstanding. Another 'format war' nobody but the manufacturers wanted. Phil's point about auto market adoption is well taken too.

Later the scenario would be repeated with Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) and Digital Audio Tape (DAT).

Russell Dawkins

Sony and Philips were two monsters trying to compete for the format to replace the stunningly successful compact cassette—a Philips idea that succeeded because the manufacturing specifications were so detailed that any player/recorder made anywhere in the world could play and record any cassette made anywhere else in the world, reliably and every time. Philips charged a small per unit fee to manufacturers. Imagine the revenue from any fee where every single (non-grey market) cassette player and cassette sold resulted in a small payment to Philips over the 25 year patent protection period.
Sony produced the Elcassette and then the minidisc and Phillips answered with the DCC (digital compact cassette) which had the advantage of being backward compatible with the standard cassette. A DCC player could play an analog cassette.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette
Every other manufacturer wanted to establish a superior format to get in on that action—RCA, in particular who had flopped in the attempts to establish a couple of formats—the 33.3 and 45 rpm 7" disc intended to be the next big thing after the 78, and the 'Selectavision' videodisc—a stylus-read vinyl disc competing with Philips Laserdisc, a 12" disc looking like a huge thick CD and the precursor to the DVD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc
RCA actually ruined the market for the Laserdisc by undercutting them in price and leaving a sour taste in the mouths of the consumer who were suckered into buying them, then discovering the severe limitations compared to the more expensive Laserdisc which could be paused, advanced frame by frame, had much better video quality and no wear, not to speak of the lack of an expensive, delicate stylus and tendency to skip. The consumer did not know the difference before buying, then was quickly left with a paperweight with a very small number of titles available.
Finally, it took two giants—Philips and Sony—to collaborate and triumph with the compact disc.
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2016, 05:08 pm by Russell Dawkins »

charmerci

Wow - I used to own a Sony cassette deck that had the same VU meters and those solenoid start/stop buttons! I think that was my first good cassette deck.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
We tend to think of Sony as innovative and dominating consumer electronics.  Sony was innovative, but many of their innovations were aimed at creating a proprietary format and they wasted millions on all those lost causes.  Don't forget the Betamax video tape loss.  Phillips' cassette business model was successful.

Wind Chaser

I had an elcassette deck for about two weeks and then gave it away. The cassettes were ridiculously huge, the sound quality was compromised by very poor SNR, and Dolby NR shaved too much off the top end making it unlistenable.

dB Cooper

Remember approximately how much it cost?

Dig the wired remote LOL

CSI

As an audio retailer at the time, we were all initially excited about the ELCASET. It seemed to solve the sonic limitations of the cassette while bypassing the fuss and hassles of reel to reel. Unfortunately, cassette fans didn't hear/see enough improvement to worry about and high enders chose to stay with reel to reel. As the late audio journalist, Ralph Hodges, wrote upon it's demise, it was an elegant solution to a non-existent problem.

Wind Chaser

Remember approximately how much it cost?

Don't remember the original price but I got mine on clearance for $200.

dB Cooper

As the late audio journalist, Ralph Hodges, wrote upon it's demise, it was an elegant solution to a non-existent problem.
So much of audio these days is precisely that.