BDP-2 with Uptone regen or IFI iusb(2.0 or 3.0)

adol290

BDP-2 with Uptone regen or IFI iusb(2.0 or 3.0)
« on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:29 am »

I am thinking of getting either an "Uptone USB Regen" or an "ifi micro iusb3.0"  to put on the USB output of my BDP-2 before my DAC.

Is anyone using these devices on their BDP-2. Does it sound any better, or am i just going to wasting my $.

Krutsch

Re: BDP-2 with Uptone regen or IFI iusb(2.0 or 3.0)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2016, 03:38 am »
I am thinking of getting either an "Uptone USB Regen" or an "ifi micro iusb3.0"  to put on the USB output of my BDP-2 before my DAC.

Is anyone using these devices on their BDP-2. Does it sound any better, or am i just going to wasting my $.

My $0.02 ... you are wasting your $ using one of these with the BDP-2. I have have an UpTone Audio REGEN and use it with my MacBook Retina into a Bel Canto REFLink. Sounds pretty great, but the smoothest sound, with the same tracks, comes from my BDP-1 using AES directly into my DAC.

The BDP-2 already has a high-quality USB-to-SPDIF converter built into the unit (BUC-1), so I would expect the BNC or AES output to be the best experience. As always, YMMV.

Samurai7595

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2016, 11:16 am »
Have a look at the AudioQuest JitterBug instead for the BDP-2:

http://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug/jitterbug

Jozsef

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2016, 03:12 am »
In my experience, Bryston generally does a good job of utilizing the most effective techniques for maximizing sound quality. I honestly can't imagine one of these devices being of benefit rather than detriment.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2016, 05:55 am »
In my experience, Bryston generally does a good job of utilizing the most effective techniques for maximizing sound quality. I honestly can't imagine one of these devices being of benefit rather than detriment.

Yep, this.  :thumb:

Docere

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2016, 10:04 am »
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this as I have the same question as the OP. I am considering an iFi USB 3.0...

What DAC? What inputs? How well implemented are the various inputs?

My $0.02 ... you are wasting your $ using one of these with the BDP-2. I have have an UpTone Audio REGEN and use it with my MacBook Retina into a Bel Canto REFLink. Sounds pretty great, but the smoothest sound, with the same tracks, comes from my BDP-1 using AES directly into my DAC.

The BDP-2 already has a high-quality USB-to-SPDIF converter built into the unit (BUC-1), so I would expect the BNC or AES output to be the best experience. As always, YMMV.

Makes sense if you are using S/PDIF. You use the Regen between the MacBook and the REFlink, which then goes to your DAC - you have an additional stage of conversion after the Regen. What DAC? Does it have a well-implemented USB input? Is it possible to try Regen between the BDP-1 and DAC?

I understand this may now be the case with the new IAD if you use S/PDIF, but does this also apply to the BDP-2 USB output? I thought the USB used the motherboard buss - is a better method used? So, if someone wanted/ needed to use USB, are you saying that an iFi would not improve the sonics?

Cheers,

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2016, 10:54 am »
My $0.02 ... you are wasting your $ using one of these with the BDP-2.

....but the smoothest sound, with the same tracks, comes from my BDP-1 using AES directly into my DAC.

+1 on this one. I also use an AES (and sometimes a BNC-BNC) from my BDP-1 into BDA-1. Divine, can't get better than that on floor system/BHA-1.
 :thumb:

adol290

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2016, 05:15 pm »
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this as I have the same question as the OP. I am considering an iFi USB 3.0...

What DAC? What inputs? How well implemented are the various inputs?

Cheers,

I am running it into the DAC portion of an Esoteric K-03X.  It uses a higher end chip than the BDA-3. The BDA-3 uses  the 4490 chip, but
 the esoteric uses the 4495 chip, and there are 4 of these chips per channel.

My input options are USB, or  SPDIF, or Optical.

I am trying to get the same sound as I get when I play A CD in the K-03X, but have failed so far.

I have tried the BNC to SPDIF with a high end cable, ok but not good enough.
I also have a high end  "Signature Silver USB Cable" from Audio Sensibility, and the sound is about the closest, but still not quite there.
The cd player is still a bit more open and a larger soundstage.

I may just get the micro iusb3.0, and report back my findings. If it doesn't work then I guess someone on "canuck" will
 get a good deal.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2016, 05:48 pm »

I am running it into the DAC portion of an Esoteric K-03X.  It uses a higher end chip than the BDA-3. The BDA-3 uses  the 4490 chip, but

I am trying to get the same sound as I get when I play A CD in the K-03X, but have failed so far.

I also have a high end  "Signature Silver USB Cable" from Audio Sensibility, and the sound is about the closest, but still not quite there.

I may just get the micro iusb3.0, and report back my findings. If it doesn't work then I guess someone on "canuck" will
 get a good deal.

Just a word of potential caution (not sure that it applies to your Esoteric model).  Please look at this site - http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html  They list some compatible and non-compatible models (and it is an outboard power supply like the iFi).  I use the iFi in my main system with a Windows 10 music server and a Meitner MA-1 DAC.  It made a nice difference.  In one secondary system, I have a Teac 501 and as noted from the list on the above link, it is not compatible as the "USB-chip is self powered (powered from the DAC internally)."

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:01 pm »

Digital cables don't impact the SQ that much. Avoid using cables as tone controls. Just imo.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:11 pm »
Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth.  I own a jitterbug, regen and have an IFI iusb 3.0 on loan from a friend to review.  My DAC is a Luxman DA-06.  All 3 change the sound with the Luxman.  The Jitterbug made things more clear but also bright although the JB did work well with my Audioquest Dragonfly.  The Regen and IFI improved clarity and made things sound more analog.  They also took the differences in usb cables out of the equation for the most part ( we did a shoot out with a Pangea Silver, Wireworld Starlight Red,  a $600 WW Platinum and $600 Lightspeed which all sounded remarkably different in my system until we used the Regen and IFI which made them all sound similar except for the Pangea which still sounded thin and bright ). 4 people were at the shoot out and heard the differences.

There were differences between the IFI and Regen but they were subtle but noticeable.  The IFI smoothed out the top end a little more but the Regen had a little bit better bass.  I recommend either one.

I have also heard the Regen with a PS Audio DSD DAC  and Hugo Chord and it did improve the sound.

My system consists of a Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp and Magnepan 1.6's.

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:06 pm »
For digital cables, and specifically SPDIF cables, I would pay attention to the length of the cable. I tested 3 cables that had the same connectors and wire, only difference was length (6 ft, 10 ft, and 18 feet). Found the 18 feet to be best. It has to do with reflectance and other stuff.

Reference: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140155.0

Nowadays, I just use AES whenever possible (Mogami 3173).