My thanks to the wonderful people of GAS

Baumli

My thanks to the wonderful people of GAS
« on: 13 Jun 2016, 03:43 am »
Dear good people of the Gateway Audio Society:
I am so very grateful to you for your generosity today.  The fundraiser at Dave, Colleen and Liam Sheckleton's home made almost exactly $2000--enough to provide vitamins for every child, for one year, in the remote village of Guanacaste, Honduras.  The Sheckletons are gracious and hospitable people--I cannot thank them enough for hosting this event.
Most sincerely:
Abbe Sudvarg (Francis' wife)

kentj1948

Re: My thanks to the wonderful people of GAS
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:52 pm »
I think  Dave, Colleen, and Liam deserve a huge thank you for all of the work and time they put in for this event.  Not to mention being willing to open their home to a large number of total strangers.  I am glad to hear their work resulted in a good outcome for the clinic.  It was nice meeting everyone there.  Kent

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2016, 12:09 am »
I think  Dave, Colleen, and Liam deserve a huge thank you for all of the work and time they put in for this event.  Not to mention being willing to open their home to a large number of total strangers.  I am glad to hear their work resulted in a good outcome for the clinic.  It was nice meeting everyone there.  Kent

+1!  Wish I could have been there.

daves

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2016, 07:13 pm »
Abbe, we were so much more than happy to help. We appreciate how much you do to help those your efforts touch, and we feel blessed to be part of Washington Overseas Mission.

Thanks again to all the GAS members who again showed their better nature. We would be amenable to doing this again next year if needed, and we would strive to pick a slightly cooler day! :-)

popthinker

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2016, 02:51 am »
Abbe, we were so much more than happy to help. We appreciate how much you do to help those your efforts touch, and we feel blessed to be part of Washington Overseas Mission.

Thanks again to all the GAS members who again showed their better nature. We would be amenable to doing this again next year if needed, and we would strive to pick a slightly cooler day! :-)
Dave, I think any other day would be at LEAST slightly cooler! Thanks for opening your home to us.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2016, 10:38 am »
Hello Abbe, Francis,

It's always a pleasure to help fund your mission. Sorry we missed the event but we were prepping for another event we are hosting ourselves this weekend. I'm happy to see you raised enough funds to provide vitamins for the children this year. Be safe and stay healthy. I know the rigors of this type travel can take a toll. We'll have to share dinner again after you return and recuperate.

Have a blessed trip.
Scott and Laura

PS. Francis, the speaker cables are a nice match in the Mac and B&W system. Much better than what I was using before.

Baumli

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2016, 05:51 am »
Dear folks,

Before this topic gets old, I wanted again to thank everyone for being at the fund-raising event, and especially Dave and Colleen for all their generosity and work.

We made less money than we used to at McGurk's, but there was less expense, so it came out about exactly the same. Plus, there were benefits to being in a home. The setting was more intimate and relaxed. There was (if I may be frank) a more genteel atmosphere. And (important to me) there wasn't that steep $25 entrance fee such as was the case at McGurk's. That fee deterred several people. It came to $50 for a couple, and even with food (greasy!) and an open bar (cheap!), it was hard for many people to justify that big an expense, much less pay for it. Some people told me outright they couldn't afford it. Others, upon learning of that entrance fee, grew embarrassed and became noncommittal. I don't blame them.

And what good conversation it was. Maybe the evidence for this is bolstered by the fact that very little booze was consumed. I'm not sure the hard stuff even got touched. At least not by me.

Thank you again, and I am hoping for another such get-together next year!

All the best,

Francis Baumli

daves

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2016, 02:27 am »
Well, with all the craziness, beverages to fetch, food to arrange, and checking out the music, systems, auction, and goings on, I never stopped to take any photos, so I thought I would throw this one before the event out. A nicely shaded green lawn might make one imagine it was cooler than 98 degrees that day... but it wasn't!