Carvin DCML series—the new Crown XLS ??

Russell Dawkins

Carvin DCML series—the new Crown XLS ??
« on: 12 Jun 2016, 07:43 am »
Has anyone tried any of the DCML series amps in a home stereo context? From all appearances, they look to be a Crown XLS beater.
Check out the specs—I know you don't listen to specs, but, hey—of the DCML3000 against the Crown XLS 2502, for instance:

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/dcm3000l-ultra-light-linear-3000w-power-amp
http://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-2502

Makes me wonder. I like the fast rise time of 50v/msec and the Carvin seems to beat the Crown in damping factor, distortion, signal to noise ratio, power  and price.

I'm tempted to give them a try. I like the appearance, too.

Reading a little further, the reviews look to be mixed.

srb

Re: Carvin DCML series—the new Crown XLS ??
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:17 pm »
  • Built in USA  -  I like that.
  • Cooling  -  "Five high ratio 6063-T5 flow-through aluminum heat sinks remove heat fast with multi-speed fans that runs quiet under 2 ohms loads".  With 2 fans in the rear, (1 or 2?) fan(s) in the front and airflow vented out of the front, I wonder how quiet it might be for quiet home use?
  • DSP/EQ/Crossover  -  As some people are using the DSP functions of the Crown XLS DriveCore series, it looks like you would have to step up to either the DCM2004LX 4-channel ($699/$595 sale) or the DCM3800LX 2-channel ($799/$680 sale) to get DSP functionality.

Steve
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2016, 04:27 pm by srb »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2016, 05:06 pm »
In one of the reviews for the 3000, this is said:

"Plus, this amp is more than capable for studio use, it is that clean. Even with two cooling fans these amps are very quiet."

They are variable speed fans, so maybe there is no more problem than with the Crowns which also have var. speed fans. Also, where did you get the idea there are fans in the front? I'm pretty sure they would be only in the rear, probably with a tunnel guiding the air past the heat sinks en route to the front.

The comparison between the LX series with DSP and the Crown is difficult, because the power ratings really diverge between the Crown and the Carvin. The Carvin still looks similarly advantageous, though, if you need a ton of power.

My big question is sound quality and durability.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2016, 05:41 pm »
Also, where did you get the idea there are fans in the front? I'm pretty sure they would be only in the rear, probably with a tunnel guiding the air past the heat sinks en route to the front.

Re-reading the webpage, I believe you're right I must have misconstrued what I originally read.

I couldn't find any internal photos of the DCM300L but I did find one of the 4-channel DCM2004L.  It appears to have only one fan in the rear, and although there doesn't appear to be any tunnel or duct between the heat sink and the front vent, I don't see any front fans either.

My big question is sound quality and durability.

And if there is any difference in sound quality, apart from the difference in power output between the models, as was claimed by some users with the different Crown XLS DriveCore models.

Steve

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2016, 06:22 pm »
I couldn't find any interior photos of the DCM 3000L either. As far as fan speed, I would think for typical home use the fans would never go above minimum speed. The fans are there to take care of heating with near maximum output going into 2Ω loads all night long at a club, driving paralleled 18" subs!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2016, 06:34 pm »
I bet this would drive my  2, 15" subs with 18" passive better than my 1000w PE amp. I like Calvin's tube guitar heads.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2016, 06:55 pm »
As far as fan speed, I would think for typical home use the fans would never go above minimum speed.

I suspect you're right.  Would be nice to hear from existing Crown XLS users who need another amp and decide try one of these for comparison.

Interestingly, while all of the Carvin DCM models have switchmode power supplies, the DCM1000L, DCM2000L and DCM2004L are Class D, while the DCM1540L, DCM3000L, and DCM3800L are Class A/B.

Steve

srb

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2016, 06:56 pm »
I like Calvin's tube guitar heads.

Does Calvin own a Carvin?  ;)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2016, 07:03 pm »

Interestingly, while all of the Carvin DCM models have switchmode power supplies, the DCM1000L, DCM2000L and DCM2004L are Class D, while the DCM1540L, DCM3000L, and DCM3800L are Class A/B.

Steve

I queried Carvin about that about 4 days ago but have not received a reply.

jk@home

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2016, 12:00 pm »
Have you tried the Yamaha PXXXXS series amps? I prefer them over the Drivecores in my two channel system, a little warmer, highs are slightly rolled off. Better match with the KEF LS50s than the Crowns XLS1500s I use in the HT system. The 2500 and the 3500 (model I own) are class A/B. There are fans but they never come on and the noise level is lower.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2016, 02:44 pm »
I used to own some Yamaha power amps (did own both the P2500 and P3500 at one point) and used them exclusively for sub work.  I currently own a P2100 but one of the channels is out (dense owner shorted the wires... me  :lol:).

I sold them before I bought the Crown XLS 1500 I use today (full range with my Maggies).  Would have been an interesting comparison no doubt.

I look forward to hearing about what others think of this new contender - I am always on the hunt for a great, affordable performer.

jk@home

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2016, 03:30 pm »
I used to own some Yamaha power amps (did own both the P2500 and P3500 at one point) and used them exclusively for sub work.  I currently own a P2100 but one of the channels is out (dense owner shorted the wires... me  :lol:).

I sold them before I bought the Crown XLS 1500 I use today (full range with my Maggies).  Would have been an interesting comparison no doubt.

I look forward to hearing about what others think of this new contender - I am always on the hunt for a great, affordable performer.

Yeah, one just has to experiment sometimes. When I bought the first yamaha a few years ago , also for sub duty only, I tried them on the modded MMGs I was running at the time. Didn't like the sound at all, kind of fuzzy. Different now with these speakers, although I also am using a high gain pre, which was not the case before.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2016, 03:42 pm »
Using budget pro amps for subwoofer duty - they're more or less interchangeable - Alesis, Behringer, Carvin, Crown, Dayton, Samson, Yamaha, etc.  That's why so many subwoofers can get by with cheap plate amps.

Might as well choose based on features, appearance and price for that application.

As many have found, using them for full-range mains duty is where they start distinguishing themselves.  I admit, I'm always smitten with Made in USA components, so I look forward to reviews on these Carvin amps, and particularly comparisons between their Class A/B and Class D offerings.

Power isn't a huge factor, so even the lower powered models are probably sufficient for 90% of home stereo applications.

Steve