SR Black Fuses In Maggies

Waker

SR Black Fuses In Maggies
« on: 11 Jun 2016, 06:39 am »
If you are thinking of doing a fuse upgrade in your Maggies, try the Synergistic Blacks. I now have them in my 3.6R's for fabulous results in soundstage and clarity. I have used many brands over the years, including HiFi Tuning gold and silver, Furutech, Synergistic 20's, SR Reds and now the SR Blacks. Next to "No fuse is the best fuse", these blacks far exceed the SR Reds, which where better than any of the aforementioned brands.  Try them--return them if not satisfied.  They perform well in mains fuse banks in amps and players, etc, but they really shine in the signal path of Maggies.  I compare them to any component upgrade I have ever made--these are the real deal if you are a believer at all. If you are not, I am not inciting an argument--just reporting in. 

Waker

Re: SR Black Fuses In Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2016, 06:37 pm »
Tough crowd......

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2016, 07:39 pm »
Are they available broadly? 

I have never looked for fuses for my 1.6's, but if they are reasonably priced (and can be sourced in Canada) I would be interested to try them.

Thanks for sharing.

Minn Mark

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm »
Waker,
I'm bi-wiring my 3.6R's with the OEM fuses  (tweeters on the inside) and am happy with the results. Maybe you could give a more detailed description of the characteristics of your system and set-up before the Blacks, and what you noticed (liked and/or disliked) about using them. Evidently you are happy using them. Can you share what specific fuse you are using (amperage). These extra details and descriptions may elicit more responses to your post.

Mark

Waker

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2016, 04:11 am »
Yes, the SR fuses are widely available, probably from Parts Connection in Canada.  Minn Mark, as mentioned, I have been using after market fuses for some time now.  You have probably read of Maggie users and their mods, including removing the fuse banks--this is the basis for the "No fuse is the best fuse" adage among Maggie owners. I prefer not to tear into mine, so the upscale fuses are the next best thing.  My system is very revealing, including ARC Reference mono blocks.  I use the Mye Stands and the Cardas jumper kit that takes the bass crossover box off the speakers--nice improvement on both of these mods. The SR Black fuses are available in the OEM amperages and have a 30-day free trial. I suggest going with the Blacks because they outperform all others I have tried by a lot---wider sound stage, much better clarity--you will hear so much more of the music.  From MN, best to order from Chris at VH Audio, just over in WI. My orders always arrive in two days. You just have to take a leap of faith on these tweaks--I truly believe you will be pleased. If not, just mail them back.   

Waker

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:47 am »
Well?  Ok, I will say this about the SR Blacks:  I would put my 3.6Rs up against a stock 3.7i anytime. With the Mye Stands and the Cardas rhodium pin jumper kit, there is no contest.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:42 am »
Tough crowd......

I don't think it's that.  :)

Dave.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm »
Pretty steep price for a fuse.

Waker

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:38 am »
Yes, the cost adds up fast.  You could spend $500 elsewhere in your system, but if you have taken care of other details that make a good system better, and you don't want to spend for another component, here is where you will make a good speaker better--just go right to the SR Blacks, though. These are the easy tweaks--for those who just want to snap in or bolt on an aftermarket item. 

Waker

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2016, 02:22 am »
Perhaps Mr. Ford could weigh in--were you not about to conduct a fuse tour some months ago?  There is just no interest here in this idea. Either that, or there is a collective disdain for boutique fuses.  I also wonder if this circle ever recovered from the 3.7i mod meltdown.  There was an air of mutually assured destruction then that appears to have since taken the spirit out of the conversation here. Correct me on that--have bygones become bygones?  Back to Audiogon, then--good hunting to all. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2016, 09:03 am »
Evil motorcycle parts vendors took all of Mister Ford's mad money, that's why the fuse experiment got put on hold.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:55 am »
If the fuses were $30 I would give them a try.  At $240 for two fuses I will pass.

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2016, 01:39 pm »
Fuses are an archaic safety device.  Especially in this application.  Spending $250 on a pair of them is just nuts.
Much better alternatives have been discussed previously on this forum and others.

Steve, money spent on motorcycle stuff is much better spent!  :)  I'm doing that myself currently.

Dave.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2016, 04:42 pm »
I would certainly be up for a Fuse Tour.

undertow

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2016, 08:05 pm »
You could always double down again, and nearly double cost again skipping the SR Blacks getting these top super fuses instead  :duh:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tweaks-audio-magic-shd-beeswax-fuses-super-high-definition-new-audio-magic-s-latest-and-2016-06-22-accessories-92307-apple-valley-ca

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2016, 09:12 pm »
We'll do a fuse tour sooner or later - right now other things are taking precedence.
Water heater replaced, bike parts to get, maybe a new truck, possibly a vacation, that kind of stuff.
I would say around October when the weather here in PA starts to turn sour.
I have no opinion on cheap versus expensive fuses versus no fuses at the moment.  I always just used what came with the speakers or bought replacements from Rat Shack.  I've been surprised by results before so I'll reserve judgement.

Davey, good for you!  You should post in the Personal Circle's Biker Scum thread. 

Davey

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:37 pm »
I think ear wax would be even more "organic."

How folks take a company like Synergistic Research seriously is beyond me.  There's no solid engineering there at all.  The whole thing resides in tweakdom.

Dave.

undertow

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:51 pm »
I think ear wax would be even more "organic."

How folks take a company like Synergistic Research seriously is beyond me.  There's no solid engineering there at all.  The whole thing resides in tweakdom.

Dave.

They rely on the marketing campaign like many these  days via "It's expensive it must be good, or do something because otherwise nobody would buy it" with a brand name ideal behind it...

However, I will say this I have tried many Hi end fuses... I like Hifi tuning Silvers, Furutech, and Synergistic Reds. That being said they are all very overpriced. I can see $25 bucks a fuse making sense, but when this fuse "Fusion" started about 10 years ago heavily online the original players were Isotech, and Hifi, both fuses were about $20 bucks. It was still very difficult to justify at the time.

They can make a difference if you have to have that very last leg of harmony in a very expensive system, but not for everybody. I have used many that give a final smooth flat response. I will say this though they are FAR less effective in most - Front end - components either preamps, cds, phono stages etc... They have GOOD affect on amplifiers in many cases because of the much higher current power supplies. Honestly I have never had a need for them in speakers so I cannot say.

In the end though even at $50 these guys are pushing their luck, $120 is pretty outrageous, oh and don't forget they still BLOW! [which is their primary job] I had a Synergistic Red go on me it was a $99 dollar tube that weighed about 2 grams in the garbage.... For those keeping count that little fuse cost by weight ratio about 3 grams of pure solid investment grade GOLD!
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2016, 03:03 pm by undertow »

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:03 pm »
If a person believe that fuses are contributing audibly then, by definition, removing them should yield the best results.  Unless, of course, you think the non-linearities contributed are audibly beneficial.
How the fuse sounds is irrelevant, since if it does have a sound, then it is obviously contributing a non-linearity to the system.  The issue is whether they open correctly per their advertised rating.  (Which I suspect these boutique fuses are not.)

The simple fact is:  The key to protecting your drivers is the power amplifier and its design....not passive devices placed in between.

Dave.

undertow

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:11 pm »
No argument there... However, bypassing the fuse as you suggest is in fact the best way taking a solid piece of copper and just sticking it in there, but obviously you have Zero Protection.

These fuses are basically claiming to come "Closer" to no fuse at all. There are some merits to the fact a generic ringing glass fuse with a 40 awg wire inside is a VERY weak link. If using material like real SILVER it does in fact become a super conductor as Silver is the best for transferring small signals much better than any other material on earth, this is why traces in high end computer chips, Tv's etc... IPHONE whatever use silver as the little tiny traces then can conduct nearly as well as your standard size copper gauge in the same application.

That being said there are some engineering facts to using these materials including isolation via ceramic, silver etc... vs. tin, nickel, glass in highly sensitive, and low conduction points like a fuse. But the Quantum tunneling, and a lot of other marketing hype is least of what really makes these things ticks it just looks good to audio nuts on paper.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2016, 04:12 pm by undertow »