Momentum on Ear 2

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Momentum on Ear 2
« on: 10 Jun 2016, 04:07 pm »
Last year I picked up some Sennheiser original on ears from Massdrop and really loved them, my oldest son talked me out of them, I'm a pushover. I recently had a chance for the Momentum 2 on Ears and grabbed a pair in Ivory (they look fantastic) and have been playing them in all week.
 The new model folds and have a nicer balljoint connecting them to the frame, look virtually identical to the originals as I remember them but these sound even better to me. These have all the great low end as before but are just a touch less thumpy and seem to be smoother and with better extension. Tasty and super musical are my main thoughts.
 If you thought about the originals but didn't jump listen to these guys..... I really love them. Now these and my Grado PS500's duke it out for my listening time. I love this hobby! 8). Ed

willsw

• Industry Participant
Re: Momentum on Ear 2
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2016, 03:31 pm »
Is that Momentum 2 the larger headphone like the original Momentum (currently "Momentum 2"), or is it the smaller on-ear only Momentum?

The Momentum (I believe both 1 and 2, but definitely the current offering: 2) comes in Over-ear, on-ear, and in-ear. There's also the bluetooth version, which is said to be among the best bluetooth options for sound quality. I got the bluetooth ones for my cousin's birthday and initial listening seemed good to him. I've also heard good things about the 2 vs. 1 in all other forms.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm »
Its the on-ear 2  thats why I used that as the "Subject"....LOL. I've let these burn in with a signal even while I'm not using them and they just get better and better. I also have the original IEM and they were a favorite until I found all the new hybrid IEM's....but thats another topic.
 I've never heard the Over Ear Momentum but I really hope Sennheiser stays with these and continues updating the line as these are all special.
  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2016, 01:26 pm »
i agree that "around-ear" is the more accurate term, but not widely used in the industry unfortunately. There is a big difference between the way, say, a Momentum On Ear fits, and, lets say, an HD650 or K7**. But both are "on ear" as that term seems to be used. I prefer "circumnaural" and "supra-aural" but maybe those are considered too hard to spell or something.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2016, 02:54 pm by dB Cooper »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2016, 06:48 pm »
I prefer the terms supra-aural and circumaural myself.

Ern Dog

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2016, 07:27 pm »
I have a pair of these and their sound signature doesn't do it for me.  To me it sounds too bass heavy, bloated and closed.  I prefer my Senn 600's.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2016, 12:27 am »
I use a pair of the original Momentum On Ear headphones for around the house listening. I like them better than a couple other "portables" I've owned. For stationary listening (bedroom system) I use HD650s. Love the 650s and stopped looking for better with them.