Anybody here use a Lumin?

Big Red Machine

Anybody here use a Lumin?
« on: 9 Jun 2016, 10:52 am »
I don't know diddly about them, but folks are saying the dac inside them is as good as expensive outboard dacs. Wondering if anyone has tried their dac. "They" also say the interface is top notch.

dB Cooper

Re: Anybody here use a Lumin?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm »
Thats a media server, is it not?

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:32 pm »
I think it's a player.

I don't have one, but I do like the (iOS) app  :o

bkh

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2016, 06:06 pm »
I have a Lumin D1, which has the same DAC as their higher end models like T1 and A1.  It is an integrated music streamer with its own DAC, and accept both USB input and Ethernet from NAS drive. The streaming is through Mimimserver, and support Tidal. I have it for a couple of months and it is flawless to play all popular DSD and PCM formats. In many ways, it betters my $4000 tube CD player.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm »
I have a Lumin D1, which has the same DAC as their higher end models like T1 and A1.  It is an integrated music streamer with its own DAC, and accept both USB input and Ethernet from NAS drive. The streaming is through Mimimserver, and support Tidal. I have it for a couple of months and it is flawless to play all popular DSD and PCM formats. In many ways, it betters my $4000 tube CD player.

I am most interested in its dac capabilities. Since I have a Bricasti, it has to dethrone a very good dac. I'm hoping some have tried it and comment on its dac portion. I like the fact that it is packaged as one unit which would be very convenient.

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2016, 01:09 am »
Hey Pete!  I have a Lumin A1. How can I help?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2016, 01:44 am »
Hey Pete!  I have a Lumin A1. How can I help?

ART! I'm reading that the interface is nice and the uptime is very good (connections are stable and the unit readily accepts all the input options equitably). SOme are saying it is a giant killer in the dac area. I see some versions have the Wolfson dac and some versions have Sabre. I'm not a Sabre fan. I respect my M1 very much. It has really brought my digital music to life.

I do not know yet how Lumin implements its dac for PCM vs. DSD playback. Need to read some more. I don't need a music server and can easily achieve that piece in similar gear. What I am interested in is could a combo unit have a dac that equals my Bricasti. I'd be wowed if that is possible and could really transform my system from server and dac to a single unit and then perhaps look at direct to amp playback later on.

What dacs can you compare the playback capability of the A1 to?

bkh

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2016, 04:23 am »
Any Lumin users compare the sound quality between the Ethenet input (I.e. Streaming through NAS drive) vs the USB input (I.e. Thumb drive or external HDD/SSD)?  I would love to hear your experiences.  Thanks!