AT&T U-Verse Modem/Router

Don_S

AT&T U-Verse Modem/Router
« on: 8 Jun 2016, 08:44 pm »
Is anyone using a third-party modem/router for AT&T U-Verse?  They just added a $7/month equipment charge that was waived before.  That is almost a 10% increase in my monthly bill for phone and internet.

As near as I could tell from talking to "Bill" from New Delhi, I have the option of buying the AT&T unit but he could not give me a price. I could also purchasing a third-party unit.

Does anyone use Comcast instead for phone and internet? 

I am sick of AT&T customer disservice.  They seem to have forgotten what the "A" in AT&T stands for.

Phil A

Re: AT&T U-Verse Modem/Router
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2016, 08:50 pm »
In my old house, I had Comcast just for internet (and they were fine - certainly not horrible compared to others I've had).  Once you have internet, you could of course do something like this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ooma-telo-voip-home-phone-service-black/3404027.p?id=1219091218544&skuId=3404027

Cost of the phone bill for unlimited US calling after buying the box is just taxes (probably around $4/month depending on where you live).  I use it now with Bright House (they just got bought by Spectrum and I hope they get better - Bright House customer service was terrible).  I have it set-up to send me an email with an MP3 of the voice mail attached so I can listen on my smart phone anywhere and if your internet goes down it reverts calls to my cell phone.  Just plugs into the router.