Great deal on ELAC Uni-fi UB5 - Amazon

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!

mamba315

Re: Great deal on ELAC Uni-fi UB5 - Amazon
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2016, 07:59 am »
Thanks for the heads up; would have never seen this otherwise.  Purchased a pair at the reduced price out of curiosity.  I hemmed and hawed for a day but decided to give bite the bullet once the remaining stock started selling out.  Should be a nice experiment for its size and price.  I had the Pioneers that AJ did, but sold them for cheap to a friend.  Also got to see him showing the F5's at RMAF 2015.  Just like in the videos, he's very engaging and charming in real life and seems to always be having a good time even though he clearly must be very busy.

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2016, 02:22 pm »
I picked up a pair of blem UB-5s for $399.  For the price they are really good: good imaging, wide sweet spot, fairly fatigue free, great bass levels.

The only negative I noticed was the ported bass (I currently have sealed speakers). Not sure I could live with ported given that I prefer sealed.  I was auditioning with another AC'er.  He noticed they do have some accentuation in the upper octaves that can, at times come off just a tad abrasive.  I agreed with him.

Also the build quality is so-so.  The crossover rattles around in the bottom on both of my speakers.  I emailed ELAC to ask if this is normal.

But, for the price, a really good value.

mamba315

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2016, 07:26 pm »
Did both of your units have the rattling crossover?

I have H-frame OB servo subwoofers that I can use as monitor stands.  Will probably try plugging the ports and using the subs for the lower freqs at some point.

Regarding upper octave accentuation, was it something that could be worked around with different toe-in or listening distance?

bummrush

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2016, 09:03 pm »
Just my thought on the crossover. Im pretty sure the crossover is not supposed to move whatsoever. .Maybe it shouldn't be be super tight on also is a possibility, but loose no.

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2016, 09:06 pm »
How do guys feel on clarity levels. I think that is very very important.  Thanks  guys.