McIntosh headphones

dB Cooper

McIntosh headphones
« on: 3 Jun 2016, 03:23 pm »
Turns out they make 'em. Who knew. A number of the mechanical details suggest they may be rebadged Beyers with some cosmetic changes (especially considering the following from the specs:"One Tesla annular neodymium magnet motor assembly"). Of course, because they're McIntosh, they're $2000 which is at least $500 more than the Beyer T1. Randomly stumbled  across these on Amazon. Here is the manufacturer page:

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=headphones&ProductId=MHP1000

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: McIntosh headphones
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm »
A number of the mechanical details suggest they may be rebadged Beyers with some cosmetic changes (especially considering the following from the specs:"One Tesla annular neodymium magnet motor assembly").

Thanks for the link, I wouldn't have guessed they had headphones.  I don't think it's a Beyerdynamic phone, needs to be 600 ohms (or 250 or 32) not the 200 ohms specified, and it doesn't look a lot like the T1.  However I don't have an alternative candidate.  Dale would be the one to guess the OEM.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm »
The headband, fork, ear cup hinges, and general ear cup shape are all strongly Beyer like. And the "one Tesla" reference in the specs makes me suspect as much also. They may have specified a particular impedance (don't some of the Tesla models come in 250-ohm versions?)

If I had this level of headphone "coin" I'd be looking at HD800S or LCDsomething though.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:44 am »

Edit: I can't find a single audiophile review of the MHP1000, by any known/trusted headphone reviewer.  I would like to borrow one sometime and make such a review.

In the past, McIntosh never sent out any products for review. Have they changed that policy?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:17 am »
The headband, fork, ear cup hinges, and general ear cup shape are all strongly Beyer like. And the "one Tesla" reference in the specs makes me suspect as much also. They may have specified a particular impedance (don't some of the Tesla models come in 250-ohm versions?)

I see the similarity, but to my T90's that are 250 ohms btw.  However I can't see them being rebadged as a $2000 closed headphone being an open back design selling for $489 on Amazon.  That leaves us with the T1 as the only candidate and they're 600 ohms and don't much look like the McIntosh phones.  They have a general Beyerdynamic look, but I can't pin down a model they would have been rebadged from, maybe others could do a better job.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:28 am »
"One Tesla annular neodymium magnet motor assembly").
1 Tesla are 10K Gauss, Annular or ring Neo are the usual magnet in today HPs as HD600,650,700,800 etc
Some Lowthers FR drivers exceed 20K Gauss in the motor w/Alnico(Alcomax).

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:25 am »

In the past, McIntosh never sent out any products for review. Have they changed that policy?

Don't know the answer to that but there are a few quotes from online "review" sites I've never heard of. My suspicion continues to be that they are made by Beyer with some cosmetic changes and tweaking to McIntosh requested specs. There are too many Beyer-ish design details.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:28 am »
I've listened to these McIntosh cans at a local Magnolia Design Center. Nice but I prefer my Sennheiser HD700's.

Mike

steve in jersey

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2016, 01:10 pm »
I would think that the Mc headphones might be a "hard sell" at Magnolia centers given that you can also audition the AQ Nighthawks & Audeze EL-8 at these same locations.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2016, 07:13 pm »
I would think that the Mc headphones might be a "hard sell" at Magnolia centers given that you can also audition the AQ Nighthawks & Audeze EL-8 at these same locations.

Very likely though at this store they set the McIntosh cans up nicely for suggestive selling. All the other headphones are on a mass display in the main area. The McIntosh headphones are in the high end listening room with the B&W 802 Diamonds, Sonus faber Olympica III's and upper end Martin Logans; the McIntosh amps; turntables, etc. The headphones are kept under a locked plexiglass cover. This seems designed to send the message that these headphones are something super special compared to all the ones on the community rack.

Can anyone say "psychology"?

steve in jersey

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2016, 11:26 am »
Very likely though at this store they set the McIntosh cans up nicely for suggestive selling. All the other headphones are on a mass display in the main area. The McIntosh headphones are in the high end listening room with the B&W 802 Diamonds, Sonus faber Olympica III's and upper end Martin Logans; the McIntosh amps; turntables, etc. The headphones are kept under a locked plexiglass cover. This seems designed to send the message that these headphones are something super special compared to all the ones on the community rack.

Can anyone say "psychology"?
Yeah, I never fail to get a "chuckle" out of how (& what) Magnolia will integrate in their Equipment Displays !

They often remind me of the puzzles for kids where they'll name three colors & a cow !hen ask "Which of these things is different from the others ?" (The "cow" in the Magnolia display might be something like a Sonos player in front of  ML speakers & McIntosh tube electronics; He,he,he.. the kids are normally much better at figuring out  their puzzles then a lot of Magnolia customers are at these "puzzles" )