Chromecast Audio

lcrim

Chromecast Audio
« on: 3 Jun 2016, 02:03 pm »
This little device has become a necessary part of my listening experience on a daily basis.  It is available pretty much everywhere for $35  It has become my pathway into Tidal and all that brings w/ it.
The reason that That Tidal works so well on my home network is a result of following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfygXym0Ypw  You'll also need an Android device, phone or tablet running at least Android 4, I think.
I use my inexpensive Android phone now as a remote.  On my home network I have JRiver running on a pc @ each of my systems and those are my renderers. I also have a small NAS for music I've ripped over the years.
The video is pretty much self explanatory.  My systems convert playback to DSD resolution even though the source files are flac.
I thought this was magic the first time I tried it.

Larry

PMAT

Re: Chromecast Audio
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2016, 04:41 pm »
I just bought want to run a TV mounted near the ceiling. Awesome. Now I'll move to audio.

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2016, 06:26 pm »
I just bought want to run a TV mounted near the ceiling. Awesome. Now I'll move to audio.
No idea what your post is about.

Larry

clyde

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2016, 07:51 pm »
Chromecast Audio has the same functionality as Sonos Connect but 1/10 the price.  It is not as easy to set up and use though (I have both).

GerryD

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2016, 09:32 pm »
I use it with a Toslink connection to the DAC in my Marantz 8005 CDP to listen to Pandora. Pleased with the results.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2016, 09:47 pm »
I'm guessing this isn't an option for me as my computer is a Mac Mini and my tablet/phone are both Apple??

lcrim

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:02 pm »
The software packages are designed for use in the Android OS.  A very cheap tablet is available from Amazon running Android.  The Google Play Store has the downloads for Chrome Cast and BubbleUPNP.  The video is really easy to follow.
Whatever you use as a playback chain has a renderer (player) and can generally be configured as a DLNA and/or UPNP device.  The phone I use is merely a remote control and could be an android tablet.  JRiver can be configured as a DLNA device.

Larry

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm »
A young audio bud has Android phone/chromecast/Tidal and loves it.  He can't see why anyone would spend money on CD's, vinyl, or downloads.

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm »
The magic part to me is that once you get the Chrome Cast device working as per the video, you can send that stream to any renderer on your network.  I can play Tidal selections on my JRiver players and at whatever bit depth those players are set up to produce.

Larry

lacro

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:54 pm »
I use it with a Toslink connection to the DAC in my Marantz 8005 CDP to listen to Pandora. Pleased with the results.

Chromecast Audio unit has Toslink connection?

lcrim

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2016, 11:09 pm »
There is a hybrid 3.5mm/digital optical output.  I run the 3.5mm into an amp and the device is a UPNP renderer.  The video above explains how to then use the Bubble UPNP software to send the audio stream where you want to listen.

Larry

GerryD

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:41 pm »
I bought a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable from Monoprice. I stream Pandora from my iPad with no problems.

lacro

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2016, 02:26 pm »
The software packages are designed for use in the Android OS.  A very cheap tablet is available from Amazon running Android.

I don't think this will work with the cheap ($50) Amazon Fire tablet. I checked some tutorials on how to install the Google App Store on this tablet, but no go. It won't download the App to the tablet. Amazon must now be blocking what was previously doable.

lcrim

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2016, 03:00 pm »
The cheap Amazon tablets are running a version of Android that doesn't have Google Play Store as a feature.  It can be hacked to permit this but Amazon has customized that Android version to encourage the sale of Amazon content.  I'm sorry I mentioned that this was a possibility.
I use a cheap Android phone, the Moto E 2nd Edition and it runs a pure Android that provides complete functionality.
I believe that if you are a Mac user there is a software, Lumin, that offers similar functionality to BubbleUPNP.
I started this thread to try to demonstrate a method of  adding Tidal to your system and at the resolution of your home playback system.  I still believe that's a pretty big deal.

Larry

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2016, 09:00 pm »
Michael

There is a Chromecast app for IOS.  I have used it with a 6th gen Ipod Touch and it works fine.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-cast/id680819774?mt=8

lcrim

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:10 pm »
Using Chromecast is only part of the equation, you also need the controller, I'm not a Mac person but the controller software is called Lumin as I said.
It is however for IOS but its free.
Larry
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2016, 09:16 am by lcrim »

danali

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2016, 09:48 pm »
A little challenged here, but what does this do that my cell phone, laptop, tablet  doesn't?
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2016, 12:23 am by danali »

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:03 pm »
A little challenged here, but what does this do the my cell phone, laptop, tablet  doesn't?

Nothing, really.  It is another network-aware source that doesn't require you to tie up a phone, laptop, or tablet.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:39 pm »
I'm guessing this isn't an option for me as my computer is a Mac Mini and my tablet/phone are both Apple??

Larry has given you half the answer. I have an article in preparation for a Mac/Apple person, if you'd care to give it a try I'd certainly appreciate a reviewer.

lcrim

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2016, 02:17 pm »
BTW:
Chromecast Audio configured this way does not require a hardwired connection to your network as it is a wifi device.  The control software, in this example Bubble UPNP, will find it.  You can then stream it to the renderer you want.

Larry