Bypass caps in AKSA Nirvana PSU

Jens

« on: 1 Mar 2003, 01:57 pm »
After building my AKSA Nirvana 55 w and having played on it for a while I decided to try out a tweak I have used before (in my old stock amp). I bypassed (hope it's the right word - I'm not too familiar with the electronics gibberish) each of the four PSU outputs with high-quality Mundorf Extreme caps (.33 uF). This tweak did give an extra edge to the highs and improved soundstage some. I'm planning to move the caps onto the boards themselves.

Anyone got any views/suggestions on this tweak? Should the caps be a higher value? Any suggestions/experiences with caps that work extremely well in this setup?

I realise that most of you guys will not know the German Mundorf caps, but I can tell you that in Europe they are rated almost on a par with the Black Gates ....

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2003, 12:23 am »
Hi Jens,

Thanks for the tip.  I have indeed tried bypassing with film caps, and yes, there is certainly an effect on the amp.  Power supplies are VERY important, as an audio amp is essentially a modulated power supply.

I am grateful for your publishing this sort of information.  It's great coming from constructors.  I have tried many of these tweaks, but sooner or later I have to make a commercial choice relating to cost, effectiveness, and ease of installation.  It was this created the Nirvana upgrades, which remain a work in progress.  Nonetheless, it is in all our interest to know about them, since it demonstrates to the DIY community that the AKSA is a good design with even more performance available with careful tweaking.  This is clearly in the interest of the DIY ethos.   :wink:

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2003, 07:49 am »
Hi Hugh,

I think we all strive to get the very best out of our AKSAs - and as you say and have so clearly demonstrated, small things matter!

:idea: Incidentally, Mundorf has just introduced a new series of silver-in-oil caps that look extremely interesting. See http://www.mundorf.com/english/news/news.htm. I dare not even start to think about the prices. They may be worth it, though.

Anyone else have suggestions on this subject?

Cheers,

Jens