GMOs good or not?

OzarkTom

Re: GMOs good or not?
« Reply #120 on: 10 Jun 2016, 07:56 pm »
In the Amish community, 1 in 15,000 has autism.

werd

« Reply #121 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:41 pm »
In the Amish community, 1 in 15,000 has autism.

Are you trying to say the Amish do not use Roundup? That Amish farmer, your link,  his dad was the local herbicide dealer. They use herbicides. In fact if the Amish do not get Autism at known world rates (which I doubt) it proves Herbicide is not the reason.

WGH

« Reply #122 on: 10 Jun 2016, 10:18 pm »
Now back to our regularly scheduled topic: Genetically Modified Organisms

A cutting edge application for a GMO is the ‘Bionic Leaf’ using genetically engineered bacteria.

"By combining advanced catalysts with engineered bacteria, researchers have developed a “bionic leaf” that can produce hydrocarbon fuels such as isopropanol and isobutanol from solar energy, water, and carbon dioxide—and it can do it more efficiently than natural photosynthesis. “Biology is the best chemistry,” says Pamela Silver, a professor of systems biology at Harvard Medical School and co-developer of the bionic leaf. Though still in a laboratory-scale, proof-of-concept phase, Silver hopes that systems like the bionic leaf could provide a versatile platform for producing a range of useful chemicals."

Give it a listen, just fascinating
http://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/melding-biology-and-chemistry-in-a-bionic-leaf/

werd

« Reply #123 on: 10 Jun 2016, 11:35 pm »
Sounds like an expensive air freshener ..oh yah  :lol: :jester:  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #124 on: 10 Jun 2016, 11:54 pm »
Autism is more likely in huge numbers due to folic acid supplementation. Again, barking up strange trees mates.

ctviggen

« Reply #125 on: 11 Jun 2016, 11:31 am »
Autism is more likely in huge numbers due to folic acid supplementation. Again, barking up strange trees mates.

What?  I've never heard of that. 

My guess is that autism is multi-factorial, including but not limited to vaccines, genetics, diet (primarily high sugar/carbs and low fat), diet or other factors while in the womb, pesticides, human biome, etc.  There may be multiple causes and the same thing might not affect all children the same way.  And somehow allergies factor into this, too:  why do so many children have allergies, particularly food allergies?

I've been experimenting with Einkorn wheat, which is supposedly an ancient grain (has 14 chromosomes versus modern wheat, which has 40+).  It's interesting.  I've also been using sourdough, as this supposedly reduces anti-nutrients.  I think Einkorn is better than today's wheat, but still causes me high blood sugar and I think chest congestion (which regular wheat, particularly pizza, will cause for me within a short time period).  It's hard to tell, though, as my typical diet is low carb, and when I eat sourdough bread, I usually have other carbs too.  I bought a blood sugar (and ketone) testing meter and am going to test the difference between Einkorn and regular wheat, one of these days.  I'm also going to see if I can eat just Einkorn one of these days to limit variables to see what happens.

werd

« Reply #126 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:21 am »
Now back to our regularly scheduled topic: Genetically Modified Organisms

A cutting edge application for a GMO is the ‘Bionic Leaf’ using genetically engineered bacteria.

"By combining advanced catalysts with engineered bacteria, researchers have developed a “bionic leaf” that can produce hydrocarbon fuels such as isopropanol and isobutanol from solar energy, water, and carbon dioxide—and it can do it more efficiently than natural photosynthesis. “Biology is the best chemistry,” says Pamela Silver, a professor of systems biology at Harvard Medical School and co-developer of the bionic leaf. Though still in a laboratory-scale, proof-of-concept phase, Silver hopes that systems like the bionic leaf could provide a versatile platform for producing a range of useful chemicals."

Give it a listen, just fascinating
http://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/melding-biology-and-chemistry-in-a-bionic-leaf/

This is clearly where we're headed using Biofuel with kind of tech.

OzarkTom

« Reply #127 on: 12 Jun 2016, 02:58 pm »

OzarkTom

« Reply #128 on: 13 Jun 2016, 01:10 pm »
Top anti-GMO scientists band together in film exposing threats and secrecy

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/396405163595665408

OzarkTom

« Reply #129 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:17 pm »
Printable List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers

http://www.realfarmacy.com/printable-list-of-monsanto-owned-food-producers/

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #130 on: 14 Jun 2016, 05:53 pm »
Too sad read this list, near all food makers.

Guy 13

« Reply #131 on: 14 Jun 2016, 10:59 pm »

Very difficult to avoid daily the Monsanto evil....  :(

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #132 on: 15 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm »
Very difficult to avoid daily the Monsanto evil....  :(
Even your beloved Lipton tea are owned by them.

Guy 13

« Reply #133 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:59 pm »
Even your beloved Lipton tea are owned by them.

That's why I am looking for an equivalent Made (Grown) on Planet Vienam.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:03 pm »
I would take green tea if you can stand the caffeine, just a idea.

OzarkTom

« Reply #135 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:36 pm »
Monsanto PR War Falls Short: Séralini Wins Lawsuit

http://www.ewao.com/a/monsanto-pr-war-falls-short-seralini-wins-lawsuit/

haha

weatherman1

« Reply #136 on: 15 Jun 2016, 05:19 pm »
http://www.monsanto.com/products/pages/monsanto-product-brands.aspx
I realize that most of you will just take at face value that what gets posted here is total truth and that Monsanto is the great evil in the world; however, if you look at the link you will find that it is a seed, fertilizer, chemical biotech company that sells to farmers.  It does not have a food processing or producing division.  Anyone can put together a list and post to the internet.  Lipton tea is not a division of Monsanto.  It is a product of the Unilever Corporation.  Buy the products that you like for the right reasons not because of food fear scaremonger.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 15 Jun 2016, 05:48 pm »
Unilever is owned by Monsanto, just like Coca,Pepsi and all.
http://www.realfarmacy.com/printable-list-of-monsanto-owned-food-producers/

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #138 on: 15 Jun 2016, 06:54 pm »
Nestle, Pepsi, Monsanto are all in cahoots to fight the introduction of state GMO labeling laws.
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/hidden-donors-poured-11m-into-fight-over-genetically-modified-food-labeling/

"GMA (  Grocery Manufacturers Association) was the largest donor, spending more than $11 million. Late in the campaign, Ferguson sued the D.C.-based trade association, saying it had violated state disclosure law by soliciting big money from companies to defeat labeling measures including I-522, while failing to disclose the corporations funding the effort.

The association’s donations were reported only as coming from the GMA, not the individual corporations who had kicked into the fund, including PepsiCo, Nestle and General Mills."

The GMA uses these corporate funds to buy expensive TV advertising and employ slick PR firms to provide the margin to defeat any laws that would cut into their profits and further their agendas.

The whole GMO industry works through so-called independent manufactures organizations to fight against transparency in processed food labeling. Many formally "organic" food companies, such as Odwalla, have been bought out by these huge corporations in order to suppress the truly organic food producers.

werd

« Reply #139 on: 16 Jun 2016, 02:07 am »
The entire free-market as it exists today with big business describes their mantra as "Less Government". It's the general complaint of industry that there is way to much government regulation. The equalizing solution is big business will remain compliant to the will of the public through litigation. If there is a problem we are suppose to sue them. As opposed to having government regulation to avoid any negative impact in the interest of the public. That is where we at now and what they try to pull-off as Capitilism.

This is what the food processing industry wants now. They are well aware of the potential litigation so in an effort to bypass or bog down any efforts their strategy is to uneducated the public. Labelling sits right in the face of that strategy because it undermines their business model of food processing in the dark. We just recently seen this played out in the Herbicide end of it. Chemical companies tried to replace the chemicals that describe their patents with trademark names. So instead of Glysophate we would see Roundup. That failed but it really shows what they are up to as it creates a first line of defence in discouraging litigation. It's scummy actually and it really does not make any sense why people are not in full support of labelling.