Bryston speakers - time and phase coherent?

techguy0192

Bryston speakers - time and phase coherent?
« on: 31 May 2016, 10:17 pm »
Just curious if Bryston addressed time and phase alignment with their speaker line.  I've been a fan of speakers that are time and phase coherent designs for some time.  I'm aware that the speakers are not angeled to align the mids, highs, and lows; therefore was curious if some other method was being used to achieve this.  Not sure of the crossover type used in the Bryston's.  Am i correct in guessing that it's not a 1st order?  I'd love to hear Mr. Tanner's take on this subject. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston speakers - time and phase coherent?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 10:42 pm »
Just curious if Bryston addressed time and phase alignment with their speaker line.  I've been a fan of speakers that are time and phase coherent designs for some time.  I'm aware that the speakers are not angeled to align the mids, highs, and lows; therefore was curious if some other method was being used to achieve this.  Not sure of the crossover type used in the Bryston's.  Am i correct in guessing that it's not a 1st order?  I'd love to hear Mr. Tanner's take on this subject.

Hi

Yes the time aligning is done in the crossover and they are very narrow slopes between the drivers.

There are a number of proprietary things we do but ultimately if you look at the Sound Power response that is what you actually hear when you play a speaker in a room that is the most critical measurement and the most meaningful you can make.  Problem is you need an anechoic chamber to do it - of which there are very few - we have our own :thumb:

james